Fork steerer too short - angled stem? Riser bars?

Dr_Tinkle
Dr_Tinkle Posts: 13
edited January 2012 in MTB general
I have been riding my Titus FTN for about 1 1/2 years. As time goe on and I settle more into my riding style with this bike I reckon that I had the fork steerer stem cut a bit too short leaving me a little too weighted over the front wheel. Not much mind but I tend to ride the Tallas forks on 6 inch rather than 5 inch to make it more comfortable. so I wondered what people thought about an angled stem and / or a riser bar. Would this correct the problem allowing me to ride on the 5 inch setting again or would that change the front geometry and so cause other problems?

Other info: Currently on max amount of spacers. Current stem 90 mm 6 degree rise
Any wisdom would be much appreciated

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    or a shorter stem or a stem with less stack height.

It all depends on what result you want.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i went from a 90mm to a 50mm stem on my f/s taril bike made a big difference to the way the bike handled i did the same on my hardtail.. 50mm stem with lowrise 735mm bars on the f/s and 71omm on the hardtail.
  • Ah , thats interesting because I assumed that I would need to get more angle on the stem to lift me higher but maintain my reach length but you are both suggesting to shorten the stem to move me back from the wheel. . . hmm, I have to think this through. . .
    Thanks for the swift replies.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Yep this can be acheived with a combination of different bars and stem shapes. Double check exactly which way the handlebars move when you change travel. Might find the bars move a little towards you as well as higher.

The changes will not be exact though as this will not take into consideration of any changes in geometry. The longer fork may also slacken the seat angle and move the saddle back, so you may have to adjust seat position a little.

As said you may not get eactly the same position as with the longer fork but you should be able to get a bit closer.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    If you're looking for comfort, a shorter stem would redistribute your weight and allow you to sit more upright.

Depending on how adaptable you are a 70mm zero degree stem would make a noticeable change. Would be best to get a fairly inexpensive one to begin with in case you don't like it.

note that a shorter stem will compromise your hill-climbing ability but quicken the steering response in the turns and put you in a better position for the descents.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Dr_Tinkle wrote:
    Ah , thats interesting because I assumed that I would need to get more angle on the stem to lift me higher but maintain my reach length but you are both suggesting to shorten the stem to move me back from the wheel. . . hmm, I have to think this through. . .
    Thanks for the swift replies.
    this may help

viewtopic.php?f=40043&t=12620613
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse that was an excellent link. Turns out that a stem of 110 with 20 degrees increase height by 27mm and reach by only 5mm. That pretty much comppensates the difference between 5 and 6 inch forks with negligable effect on cockpit reach.

Thanks to all for advice, much appreciated.