Transporting a carbon bike

andy46
andy46 Posts: 1,666
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
I've just been looking on the net for info on how to look after a Carbon bike and one of the sites say that you shouldn't place the bike on a cycle carrier (the rear hatchback type) as this could damage the top tube.

Does anyone here agree with that? or do any of you use these types of car rack?

I use a Saris Bones 3 but this has caused me some concern.

Here's a piece from the website-

Car Racks
Car racks that clamp to the frame tubes should not be used because of the enormous loads concentrated in a small area. Likewise, when using racks that clamp the fork, never pull sideways (and be careful not to lose your balance, which can cause this) when removing the bike because this can break the dropouts (fork tips). Always fully loosen the fork mount and then lift until the fork is clear of the mount before removing the bike. And with tall-section carbon wheels, you may need to use a different, longer strap. Use caution to protect the rim with pipe insulation or something that keeps the strap from compressing or chafing the rim as it gets jostled when you're driving.
2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Common cop-out not based on evidence - according to most makers, you should never use a carbon frame with most bike roof racks or turbo trainer too - as long as you don't go strong-arming anything, you'll be fine. Youtube "Cannondale Taurine vs Hammer" and you'll realise they're a bit tougher than most folks think.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mine often goes on top of a car with a clamp on the downtube.

I use a bit of padding and don't go overboard on the clamping strength and you'll be fine.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I remove wheels, chain, sadlle + seatpost to reduce all unnecessary weight and cart it about bungeed on the boot-lid rack with all the bits in the boot. Works fine for a 190 mile dash up the M1.
  • I find the best way to transport my carbon bike is to sit on the saddle and push the pedals round with my feet. :D

More seriously I put the back seats down in the car and drive it around safely cosseted from the outside world.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Speller78 wrote:
    I find the best way to transport my carbon bike is to sit on the saddle and push the pedals round with my feet. :D

Haha of course, this is my favourite way.
    Speller78 wrote:
    More seriously I put the back seats down in the car and drive it around safely cosseted from the outside world.

I can't really do this as I drive a Hyundai Getz, not the biggest of cars. Sounds like I'll be ok with my rack though.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport