Just starting to think about racing

Dave1441
Dave1441 Posts: 96
edited January 2012 in Amateur race
I'm looking at starting racing next year and I dont know much about the whole racing category so my questions are What equipment will I need what memberships I need and how to find races near me. Oh and also I know I will start in cat 4 so what sought of distance races will those be?

Thanks for the help
Dave

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Equipment - road bike and helmet.

Memberships - depending on the races you want to do British Cycling plus a racing licence if you intend to do many. TLI if there are TLI races in your area you want to take part in. LVRC if you are over 40 and want to do vets racing. Google the organisations and you'll find their calendars but note races will be added throughout the year.

4th Cat races - you can enter 2/3/4, 3/4 or 4ths only - or handicaps open to all cats. 4ths only are usually circuit races (on motor racing circuits, cycle racing circuits or similar) , 3/4s or 2/3/4s may be on circuits or on the open road - these are likely to be longer than circuit racing. Circuit races might be 45 - 90 minutes (may vary depending where you are) and open road are probably ~40 miles up to about 80 miles at most for some 2/3/4s - I'd expect most to be 40-55 miles so a couple of hours give or take.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    oh and the category system (4th cat etc) only applies to BC races - for the others you just get stuck in against whoever enters.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.