Hmmmm interesting

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
For reasons I don't need to explain I listen to the news in Toronto on a regular basis (I have family there etc etc) and this one peaked my interest, read the whole story, but take note of the second last line.

Personally something I would like to see here in the UK regarding cycle lanes.

http://www.680news.com/news/local/article/316027--committee-approves-increased-fine-for-illegal-rush-hour-parking
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    This article could be on QI.

I like how they define rush hour:
    ...defined as 6 a.m. to 10 a.m., and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.[/url]

What is $150 Canadian in real money?
    The fine seems stiff judging on what the bloke who stopped for coffee said (which is a good thing).

The brilliantly named Denzil Minnan-Wong points out that booting (clamping) a car is pointless if you are trying to keep traffic moving. Good point, but I only included it so that I could include their name.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    This article could be on QI.

I like how they define rush hour:
    ...defined as 6 a.m. to 10 a.m., and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.[/url]

What is $150 Canadian in real money?
    The fine seems stiff judging on what the bloke who stopped for coffee said (which is a good thing).

The brilliantly named Denzil Minnan-Wong points out that booting (clamping) a car is pointless if you are trying to keep traffic moving. Good point, but I only included it so that I could include their name.

$150CDN is £94.69 (nicely rounded up to £95 for arguements sake)

Also listening to the follow up news on this, parking in bike lines will see a $150 fine AT ALL TIMES, not just at rush hour times.

The rush hour times apply to stopping in no stop zones during rush hour.

Having been to Toronto numerous times, they do seem to have a defined rush hour (unlike London which seems to be rush hour ALL the time!) between 10am and 3pm the streets, while busy are pretty free flowing.

I do like how people complain about the TTC, in my opinion it is a stonkingly good transit system, one which we Brits should learn from. Subways are regular and connect with buses and streetcars easily (and if you don't surface' you can get from one side of TO to the other for two bucks!) and it's generally a pleasure to travel on the public transport system there.

Bay and Bloor subway is mental at rush hour though. It's the big financial centre for Canada and you get all the suits running to the subway at the same time!

OT bit of advice. If you ever go to Toronto, there are three places to eat out I would highly recommend....The Mandarin at Eglington/Yonge and Boston Pizza at Sheppard//Yonge (A great sports bar which lovely pizzas and burgers and with staff who remember your drinks orders every time you go in. Great for watching hockey with the locals as well!) and the Indian Restaurant (of which the name escapes me) also at Sheppard/Yonge :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men