Chain Guard

paulfaye
paulfaye Posts: 3
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi There

forgive me for not noing the tech terms but what i want to do is change my 3 ring xt chainset to just the middle ring with guard as i dont use the other 2, whats the best way and a resonably priced way of doing this please

Regards
Paul

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    remove outer ring and fit a guide/bash ring.

leave the granny ring and adjust the outer stop screw on the front mech to stop over shifts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Or do away with the whole shifting system, and fit a guide, flog the mech and shifter, you may even come out +net£, but may come a cropper if you find a hill and want to go up it and down fast.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My daughter runs an outer guard and an N-gear jump stop (as recommended in WMB at some point) chain never comes off the top, although occasionally comes off at the bottom when back pedaling which she's fixed with a stinger.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.