De Rosa King 3

damianwelch
damianwelch Posts: 47
edited January 2012 in Your road bikes
hi all

just finishing off the build on my old 2008 Rock Racing race team frame, with SRAM red black edition, cole carbon tubulars, some tarty deda bar tape and bits of cable housing. Couldn't help myself.

It's 6.6kg with pedals and garmin 500. Well chuffed. Just had a quick ride to test him out (he's called Ugo, of course) and it's just a beautiful ride, even in the wind.

Carbon spacers on order and a bike fit due, before you ask about the steerer!

now, how do I lose 10kg to do this bike justice...

6634159307_d86456fbd0.jpg

6634158647_d8cd0e2f1c.jpg

6634157325_d7f079322f.jpg

6634155939_32812438ed.jpg

6634154651_47b24f792c.jpg

6634154057_c16d46ef2d.jpg

Frame: 2008 De Rosa King 3 for Rock Racing
Forks: De Rosa
Bars: Deda 100
Stem: KCNC sc wing
Headset: Campagnolo chorus
Bar Tape: Deda

Front Brake Lever: SRAM red
Front Caliper: SRAM red black edition
Rear Brake Lever: SRAM red
Rear Caliper: SRAM red black edition

Shifters: SRAM red
Cables: Jagwire racer
Front Mech: SRAM red black edition
Rear Mech: SRAM red black edition

Seat: San Marco Aspide
Seat Post: KCNC stubby
Seat Post Clamp: KCNC stubby

Cranks: SRAM red black edition
Chainring(s): compact SRAM red black edition
Chain: SRAM 1091
Cassette: SRAM 1090
Pedals: Look keo
Bottom Bracket: SRAM ceramic

Front Wheel: Cole T50 carbon tubular
Tire: Vittoria Corsa evo CX tubular

Back Wheel: Cole T50 carbon tubular
Tire: Vittoria Corsa evo CX tubular

Accessories: Comtat bottle cages, Garmin 500, helicopter taped frame

Weight: 6.6kg with Garmin and pedals

Other info: Ex rock racing team frame, enjoying its pampered second life!

all comments welcome. i know they were/ are a marmite team, me, i just love De Rosas and the colour scheme on their old bikes.

Comments

• gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    That is one stunning bike!

I'm a big fan of Rock Racing (so wrong they're right) and their kit was always first class.

Where did you get the frame?

I think you will probably need a David Clinger full facial tattoo just to set off that colour scheme.
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • Very nice.
  • The frame is direct from the remnants of the team- a guy who did design for them (nice jerseys!) and Mr Ball- now working on taking over the universe via a sports "elixir" drink. Colourful characters.

Saw an original kit (the green/ carbon armour one) on ebay a while back, but it went for crazy money. I am thinking black gear and some nutty shoes like these:

1284994136654-bc02amoq8ow4-500-90-500-70.jpg
  • smithaay
    smithaay Posts: 114
    That bike is class :)
    Eat.Ride.Sleep.
  • wasabi_m
    wasabi_m Posts: 164
    That frame is absolutely epic!
    Let me know when you plan on changing.

Although my preference would be campag, team spec.
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    The frame is direct from the remnants of the team- a guy who did design for them (nice jerseys!) and Mr Ball- now working on taking over the universe via a sports "elixir" drink. Colourful characters.

Saw an original kit (the green/ carbon armour one) on ebay a while back, but it went for crazy money. I am thinking black gear and some nutty shoes like these:

1284994136654-bc02amoq8ow4-500-90-500-70.jpg

I got a cheap copy jersey off ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180757264919? ... 1497.l2649

£14.70 delivered. I'm quite happy with it but your bike obviously deserves better!!

My favourite bike on here by quite some way (although I do still like the de rosa/ribble chinese frame with Sram Force that appeared a while ago). Congrats!
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    That looks fantastic.

Love the green.

Great job :D
    Mens agitat molem
  • that's pretty special, Very cool bike.
  • wasabi_m
    wasabi_m Posts: 164
    www.rockracing.it

Just discovered this site. Are these related at all?
  • Thanks for the comments!

Rockracing.it is slightly related. It's the continuation of the team to sell clothes and bikes, but I don't think Michael ball is involved any longer, he sold rock racing.

They did, however, put me in touch with the guy still working with him which is how I bought this frame.

Thanks for positive comments, smile when you pass me on a sportive!

Damian
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    That's a beautiful bike! one of the best colour schemes i've seen!

Definitely go for those shoes! and you could wear one of these stylish 'gilets' over your black kit to complete the look :wink::mrgreen:

aa-adult-high-visibility-vest.gif
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Oh my lord.

The whole Chinnarello and 838 debaucle nearly killed my love of De Rosa's and my constant lusting for a King 3 after a brief loan from Hotel Gemma Riccione of one to ride around the Italian Lakes.

BUT THAT , THAT HAS GOT IT GOING AGAIN, SIMPLY THE DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you seen the Flouro DMT Prismas in this month Cplus , they are made for this bike to be stoked with.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    It's a great bike but asthetically it's a bit painful to see Red on a green and black DeRosa. Campagnolo's subtle black with a bit of white would look superior. Red will shift and brake fine.

If you could source the Rock Racing Harrods kit with the green Union Jacks (anyone have a pic?) that would top this off! Here's the kit in blue/white/red: http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/hundr ... at-harrods There was a green and gold version which was like sartorial tear-gas.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • I'm ordering one of those reflective hi vis safety jackets immediately!

With my cycling prowess (Like a 2/10) the loss of aerodynamics means nothing.

I pondered the original rock racing carbon/ green "armour" outfit, called venom, that matches the bike perfectly, but for me it was both visual overload and a guarantee of being laughed at for being dressed as a pro but with non pro legs. The two concerns are obviously connected :-)

I'll post a pic (of the kit, not my legs) if I can work it out on iPad.

rock_racing_redlands_tog.jpg
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    One very :cool: looking machine.