Stephen Lawrence case

124»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    This reminds me about a bloke at work that was complaining he was forever being stopped when he got his BMW. He gave an example that he drove into a car park to meet someone, saw the person he was meeting wasn't there but a police car was so turned around and drove away. Then complained that when they stopped he was asked if it was his car. They then questioned him about where he was going and what he was doing. He told them it was none of their business and wondered why they gave him a hard time.
    I told him that I've been asked if it's my car every time I've been stopped. I then asked what he was doing there. He told me that had nothing to do with it, they only stopped him because he was black. I told him I thought turning and driving away as soon as you see a police car would be considered by many to look suspicious. After much toing and froing he finally admitted he was going to the car park to meet a dealer to buy some grass. But he would not admit that they had reason to stop him.
    There is no point to this, I just thought it truly absurd and thought I'd share. I have no doubt that stop and search has been abused and I also have no doubt many innocent people have suffered as a result of police prejudice. This just wasn't an example of it.
  • The greatest s&s imbalance is a gender one but no one seems to want to even out that.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Full fact, as ever, have done some decent investigations: http://fullfact.org/factchecks/stop_and ... icity-3220
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Veronese68 wrote:
    This reminds me about a bloke at work that was complaining he was forever being stopped when he got his BMW. He gave an example that he drove into a car park to meet someone, saw the person he was meeting wasn't there but a police car was so turned around and drove away. Then complained that when they stopped he was asked if it was his car. They then questioned him about where he was going and what he was doing. He told them it was none of their business and wondered why they gave him a hard time.
    I told him that I've been asked if it's my car every time I've been stopped. I then asked what he was doing there. He told me that had nothing to do with it, they only stopped him because he was black. I told him I thought turning and driving away as soon as you see a police car would be considered by many to look suspicious. After much toing and froing he finally admitted he was going to the car park to meet a dealer to buy some grass. But he would not admit that they had reason to stop him.
    There is no point to this, I just thought it truly absurd and thought I'd share. I have no doubt that stop and search has been abused and I also have no doubt many innocent people have suffered as a result of police prejudice. This just wasn't an example of it.

Brlliant. This is it, all peeved off that he was being stopped and searched, yet was there to break the law. I just wonder how many of the complainers are actually law breakers, but at the particular time they had nothing incriminating. They are just pissed off that Big Brother has their eye on them and they cannot proceed with their crimes/antisocial behavior.

I have been stopped by the Police when I was young and hanging about late at night, have no problems with that. It of course looked suspicious.

I am happy for random S&S, as long as there are safeguards and guidelines, those that are not for them probably have something to hide, and try and hide behind a cloak of privacy.

Bring on random breath tests too.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"