Cycling ambition dashed.

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
I'm a simple soul, I know I'm never going to make the start line of the TdeF, or compete in the Olympics. Given enough time I am sure I could manage LeJog (but I never seem to have enough time), so my cycling ambitions are more humble. For a while I have harboured the dream of making it to work without being overtaken; by anything. Today I got within 20m of achieving this.

My normal commute is between 12 and 15 miles depending upon the route I take, but there are variations that are mostly away from main roads, so today my vital statistics were:
Distance: just under 13 miles
Time: Just over an hour
Weather: Not bad, just a bit of a headwind
Traffic Lights: 3
Scalps taken: 5 cars, 2 bikes (both riders under 6, 1 with stabilisers), 32 walkers / runners, 19 dogs, 3 buggies / push chairs
Scalps given up: 1 car (Mercedes SLK) driving too fast overtaking me within a stone's throw of the front door :evil:

Anyone else made it to work without being overtaken? Or, do you have more interesting cycling ambitions.
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I ride along national speed limit roads, so no chance!

However, it was the first day back at school for a lot of people, so I'd be interested to know the ratio of scalpee:scalper because there wasn't a huge amount of traffic on the fast roads, but I then sailed past a mile and a half of stationary traffic. It would be good if on a mostly rural, open commute I passed more cars than I was passed by. Saw one cyclist going the other way, and a few peds, so not much else to race!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    3 traffic lights? I dream of that...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Wrath Rob wrote:

there ain't no traffic lights on my commute 8)

shed loads on the way home though..
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    [...]

Anyone else made it to work without being overtaken? Or, do you have more interesting cycling ambitions.

Not really "interesting", but I would like to achieve a "non-stop" ride. Should be possible, as the only traffic lights I encounter are for side roads, but have a couple of busy roundabouts to cross.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DrLex wrote:
    [...]

Not really "interesting", but I would like to achieve a "non-stop" ride. Should be possible, as the only traffic lights I encounter are for side roads, but have a couple of busy roundabouts to cross.

This is similar to a FUC (Foot Up Commute). Not necessarily riding to or from work without stopping, but not putting your feet down when stationary (no leaning on street furniture or anything else though). This means trackstanding at lights, junctions, roundabouts etc.

Rick Chasey cannot do this (and is jealous).

My longest FUC is Elephant and Castle to Barnet (about 13 miles).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Wrath Rob wrote:

my normal commute has 4 of which only 1 you normally have to stop at the others are quiet ped ones.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Rick Chasey cannot do this (and is jealous).

I thought resting it on your arse still counted as a FUC? :P
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    My commute is just above 14 miles. One day last summer I did the way back 100% not on the saddle. Killer for legs, I tell you...
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    you stop at red lights?

I thought they were just advisory for cyclists...?
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    What about being overtaken, but then re-claiming the scalp? Last night I had a to and fro battle with an Astom Martin DBS - I won (overall) between Blackfriars and Putney Bridge.
  • I usually don't get overtaken. All rural back roads, no roundabouts, no traffic lights, no traffic, maybe a tractor every once in a while. Gloating, moi?
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    ... 2 bikes (both riders under 6, 1 with stabilisers).

Hell yeah! Scalping like a boss! :-P
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I usually don't get overtaken. All rural back roads, no roundabouts, no traffic lights, no traffic, maybe a tractor every once in a while. Gloating, moi?
    :wink: Are you me? All this talk of a non-stop commute, not being passed etc is all a bit alien tbh.

Ambitions? To do a TdF mountain, up, and then down, followed by a nice meal + wine and a night in a good hotel avec la femme. That sounds like a good target.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Personal nightmare for me.... traffic lights... traffic lights. Nope, none of them for moi :)

(Oh and FUC is remarkably easy for me on the early start - 12 miles of country lanes with one hamlet and one village to pass through means very little opportunity TO stop. Smug much? ;) )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter