Junior Racing - Which Cassette?

06townsonj
06townsonj Posts: 509
edited January 2012 in Amateur race
Hi,

I am a 3rd Category Junior Road-Racer and need some advice on which cassette ratio's should I have. I also do time trials and chaingangs. I have to be restricted to 52 on the front chain ring and 14 on the cassette when doing British Cycling Road Race events.

Should I buy a 12-27 Cassette and restrict it using my rear derailleur to the 14 and then unrestrict it when I am doing time trials and chaingangs?

Or, should I buy a 14-25 Cassette and just use that ratio for everything I do on my bike.

I just don't want a 14 as my highest gear to stop me from getting good times like I have been in time-trials. Last year, I used a 53 on the front chain ring and 12/13/14 on the cassette when doing time trials and chaingangs.

Thanks,

Josh Townson

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    I used to use a straight through 12 up cassette when time trialling (only 7 speed back then so 12-18) and a 15 up (15-21 or 23) for road racing as that was the restriction back then. It's easy enough to switch cassettes so if you have a 12 up at present then just buy a 14 up for road races and switch them over or alternatively use a different back wheel for time trials and road races.
  • Josh,

You could change your big chainring to a 50/51 and keep your current cassette, what do you have at the minute by the way?

HAving worked for years with juniors and youths I'd say get a cassette to hit the restriction bang on as that way you can set the bike up right from the off, less mechanicals and you know it's going to work. Its not that expensive to do and you can sell it on easy enough to others coming up through the age cats. HAve you asked around to see if anyone is seeing anything?

On the side of getting it check by a comm, I had to tell quite a few comms that the restrictions for juniors existed, most don't know and thought i was having a laugh, even though it has been around for a lot of years!
    Il Sasso Cycling - Sempre in Bici
    Penna San Giovanni (Mc), Italia

Cycling training, touring and Gran Fondo camps in Italy

http://www.ilsassocycling.com
    http://www.casaliozzi.com

Follow @ilsassocycling on twitter and facebook for regular updates
  • Hi,

At the moment, I have a 52/39 chainset and 11-28 cassette, but, I am swapping the cassette very soon.
    Thanks for the replies. I have decided to have a 52 front chainring and buy a 12-27 cassette but just restrict it to 14 as the biggest gear. Then, i can just unrestrict it if I want to. However, if anyone has any more opinions please let me know.

Thanks,

Josh Townson
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    It depends what your focus is. If its road racing I would go for a 14-25. It will help keep cadence up and you will get more out of the chain gangs. My son is a Junior and he just runs 52:14(-25) all the time
    If TT is the focus then I would do what you are suggesting but it is less optimal for the road
  • No Problem. If anybody is selling a 14-25 cassette - please let me know. I am mainly focusing on road racing, but, still wanting to do well in time trialling.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Blocking the mech off each time you road race is probably more of a pain than changing cassettes, I started off doing that as a junior but soon changed (although the bigger issue then was the limited gears available, it's not so bad with 9 or 10 speed cassettes).
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Just get two cassettes, it will help increase your chain/cassette life also :D