Dissasembling Rear Wheel

PaulC7
PaulC7 Posts: 112
edited January 2012 in MTB beginners
After removing my rear cassette (droping bb's everywhere) im left with this...

dtjjd.jpg

but i cant seem to get it off... is it somehow part of the axle (which is bent) as i just cant work out how to remove it.

These are the tools i have...

Halfords Essential Bike Tool Kit

Also once i remove my rear disc im left with this...

2gvpnc9.jpg

Is it threaded on or just firmly wedged on and needs a good hammering?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Did we not worn you of this?

That's a bso wheel and not fit for anything off road, even if the axel was striaght.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It did not have a cassette fitted.

Is it a single speed? With a BMX driver fitted.

Nothing needs hammering you need some spanners and some know how to dismantle it.

Read Parktools and sheldons pages.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Screw on freewheel I think. You don't remove it, just the axle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But why bother?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cooldad wrote:
    No. The pawls are in the screw on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    Did it come off this
    viewtopic.php?f=40028&t=12816513
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • PaulC7
    cooldad wrote:

Yes it did.

I bought the tool kit and set about stripping it down when i noticed the axle bent so want to replace it.
    That's a bso wheel and not fit for anything off road, even if the axle was straight.

Its the wheel that came with the bike and has never been off road.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    In my honest opinion I really wouldn't bother trying to repair anything on that bike

We get quite a few in our workshop so I speak with relevant experience

You cannot even get replacement brake pads for them from any of the major manufacturers, the disc rotors are not a standard fitting, the whole bike is a disposable item, once something breaks it is simply not worth the time or cost of repair

Move on and buy a better bike, it really is not worth spending any time or money on the Dunlop.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • PaulC7
    As its used mostly for town and out down a few bridle ways with the kids is it not worth just buying
    a new brake caliper and a new wheel with a better cassette for a reasonable price?
  • cooldad
    nicklouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    No. The pawls are in the screw on.
    Not in this case - see link to the bike it came off.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    PaulC7 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Yes it did.

I bought the tool kit and set about stripping it down when i noticed the axle bent so want to replace it.
    That's a bso wheel and not fit for anything off road, even if the axle was straight.

Its the wheel that came with the bike and has never been off road.

So it is a BSO wheel, as it came on a bso. Thought it was second hand? How do you know it's not been off road? It probably has, as it's got a bent axel prob from the first stone it saw.
  • PaulC7
    So it is a BSO wheel, as it came on a bso. Thought it was second hand? How do you know it's not been off road? It probably has, as it's got a bent axle prob from the first stone it saw.

What is BSO?

My brothers mate bought the bike but never used it

My brother then bought it of him and used it to get to and from work for a short while

Then i bought it off my brother so its me thats bent it just going about my day... nothing strenuous i thought.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    BSO= Bike Shaped Object = things that look like mountain bikes but aren't, like Apollos, Dunlops, Reeboks etc. Not said out of snobbery but out of genuine disappointment that manufacturers and retailers don't make decent 'honest' bikes. Rigid bikes with a single ring at the front are all most people with BSOs actually need, as like you they just pootle about town. Instead, they make people think they need 30kg of pig-iron pogo stick, putting in suspension and 97 gears eats money so everything else is of a lower quality.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • PaulC7
    So manufacturers build steel frames and add suspension to look the part but use parts that are not easy to buy or interchangeable... could get expensive then if it keeps breaking then.

Will see if i can get another BSO to use for parts then... would like to save money to build one... not a BSO
  • Chunkers1980
    THERE IS NO POINT LEARNING ABOUT BIKES ON A BSO.

Most things are to a strange 'standard' which is more than likely not standard across BSOs.

You've dicovered the first one with your wheel - Freehubs are used on proper bikes so learning about freewheels is POINTLESS as they are not used on decent bikes - so will not help you in the future.

Bet your next questions will be about cranks and bottom brackets, which again are completely different on real mtbs.

You've hit the nail on the head with this "use parts that are not easy to buy or interchangeable... could get expensive then if it keeps breaking then." which it will. HENCE everyone advising you not to bother with BSO type bikes as you may as well buy a new bike for each ride.

Buy a PROPER bike.
  • PaulC7
    My BSO Dunlop has done me fine for now and i would just like to fix the axle so that i can get out with my kids and in the meantime learn and build a proper one.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    PaulC7 wrote:
    i would just like to fix the axle so that i can get out with my kids
    That's fair enough, as said above, do some reading up on Sheldon Brown and Parktools.

Halfords do replacement axles for a few quid if that's what's bent.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    Providing you can get it out and the freewheel back on. Or just find some cheapies on Ebay. Quick search found a pair for £15 inc postage Buy Now. Add a freewheel and QR for the front and it's done for £25 or so.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • PaulC7
    Have you got the ref number please?
  • cooldad
    Bloody hell, just look under wheels on ebay, sort by price and filter to buy now only
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    First measure the distance between the dropouts of your frame - 130, 135mm?
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    if its 130mm I have a complete working rear wheel you can have for the cost of the parts cooldad listed.

its an ok shimano cup and cone hub so servicable (assuming you have a cone spanner that fits)

PM me and i'll get it out and check the spacing.