Squeeky rear brake hope m4

gtd.
gtd. Posts: 626
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My rear brake keeps squeaking as I ride along. if I lightly pull the lever it stops squeaking.

The calliper is centred by eye and I've centred the pistons even used a Hayes feeler gauge tool
35769.jpg
Running out of ideas
Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Read the topics in the FAQS?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gtd.
    Yes

1. Rotor rub

Sounds Like: a rhythmic squeak or rubbing noise.
    (Note: Some intermittent rotor noise is normal, especially with larger rotors. Rotors rub while cornering or while the frame is under side load due to flex in the frame.)

Causes & Solutions:

Bent rotor – get your rotor checked for straightness/trueness.

Incorrect Wheel Installation – have your mechanic verify that your wheel is seated fully in the dropouts, the QR is tightened to the spec called out by its manufacturer, and that there are no burrs or indentation marks causing the wheel to sit crookedly.

Caliper Alignment – have your mechanic check to see if the caliper is properly adjusted. Be sure to have this performed this after ensuring that the wheel is fully seated in the drop-outs and having the mounting tabs faced for alignment.

rotor is true, caliper is aligned, wheel is fine in drop outs doesnt happen all the thime sometimes when its damp some times when its wet, sometimes when its dry but once is starts it wont stop. really annoying

Would taking removing the pods and dropping the wheel out then pumping the pistons out a but and spraying the pistons with silicone spray like fork juice then pushing them back in and re setting up the pistons help?
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    Not all squeaks are caused directly by rotor rub.

Therefore, check the rear hub for play and lubricate hub seals if there are any.
  • gtd.
    bikaholic wrote:
    Not all squeaks are caused directly by rotor rub.

Therefore, check the rear hub for play and lubricate hub seals if there are any.
    Happens with either wheel I have... Hope XC QR with 24" MTX 33 or Pro2 QR with 26" MTX 33

I re shim the mount each time I change wheel

The brake isnt dragging when I lightly pull the lever but it stops the damn squeal/squeak
  • gtd.
    Looks like a sticky pistons, one of the smallest ones was the worst.

They are the older metal kind, the last one is quite sticky (smaller inboard) but is freeing up, unfortunately the opposite large one has partially popped out so I need to re bleed them.