Easy Jet

fyldesmurf
fyldesmurf Posts: 412
edited January 2012 in Holidays
I'm looking at a week's break in Les Gets around August of this year and unfortunately being in possesion of a limited budget i'm going to have to fly easy jet. They charge £25 each way to take a bike down there and add on an extra cost for luggage. Can anyone tell me if there is a weight/size restriction for the bike and bag and whether it would be possible to pack clothes in with the bike to save myself a little money?
thanks in advance

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    It was 20kg for the bike when I flew to Malaga with easyjet. I used loads of my bike gear to pad it all out :-) The xray machine only picks up metal so knee / elbow pads, helmet etc wont show.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • just been away to france over xmas with easyjet. not a problem booking and cheekin. look at there T and C's think its 32 kg over the bike and bag any thing in each.
    Cant say Bristol airport where gentle with it!!
  • vmgscot
    vmgscot Posts: 120
    I have flown EasyJet to Malaga as well a couple times.
    Adding the bike gives you a TOTAL 32Kg for the bike and your 'normal' luggage. I packed loads of 'other' stuff in the bike bag with no ill effects. Remember you also have your 10Kg carry on allowance as well so make use...
    vmgscot
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    A bike should work slightly different to normal sports allowance - it should allow you up to 50Kg total with the bike being a max of 32Kg. Their T&C are pretty confusing though and even their own staff get it wrong (it doesn't help their summary info pages on their website don't have this additional 'rule' listed either.
    The T&C is: http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage
    With the key part about bikes being:
    "Passengers travelling with bicycles are recommended to check-in 2 hours prior to departure. Bicycles are subject to the sports equipment fee and exempt from any excess baggage charges relating to the weight of the bicycle."

That clause *should* override the sports allowance taking you to 32Kg total, so you *should* therefore be entitled to 32Kg (bike) + 20kg (maximum hold bag weight) = 52Kg, however one of the other rules states a max per passenger of 50Kg hence that's the final figure to work to.

They do also state nothing else should be packed with the bike however I'm pretty sure most people do pack bike clothes/tools/spares in with the bike (I know I have and not been asked to remove them). Last time I flew Easyjet with an MTB I think the bag was 31Kg so pushing it (and it was full of of bike kit) but nothing was said. I would leave room in the hold bag for stuff though just in case (and make sure you have weight allowance left over for it as it's max 20kg). I did get a load of warning heavy bag type stickers on it by the time it arrived in Spain.