New brakes = new discs ?

silencesound
silencesound Posts: 75
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there, im thinking of ordering some new shimano slx brakes and was wondering will they work ok with the discs on the bike ? The bike is a 2010 carrera fury with avid g2 discs. 185mm at the front and 160mm rear. Anything else i need to know ? Thanks.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Discs will be fine if you have the correct hardwear.

Many new brakes come as sets including it all.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't think the 185 will work
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cooldad wrote:
    Don't think the 185 will work
    With the correct adaptors they will be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Which adapters ? sorry but im very new to all this. I know on the juicy 3 brakes there is an adapter/bracket to set the caliper out wider to suit the larger disc. could i use that one? Sorry if the questions are silly.
  • nicklouse
    Yes as that is the one for that disc size.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Ok, just was not sure that it would fit or suit a different make of brakes. Thanks for the help.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Your rear caliper will fit for sure, but there is a slight chance that the front one will not fit. If that is the case, use a Shimano front 180mm adapter/bracket and 2.5mm spacers between the adapter and the caliper.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    The disk should be fine, however the adaptor may be a problem. If it is a genuine Avid 160-185 post mount as per the one in this link:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13717
    It won't work with an SLX caliper. This is because the top mount is thicker than the bottom and the 2 mounting surfaces are not in the same plane. The Avid mount relies on the CPS washers to account for this. If this is the case then use the shimano mount with washers / spacers as said above.
    If it's any other mount, even the Avid 160 - 185 IS mount, it will be fine.
  • nicklouse
    davewalsh wrote:
    The disk should be fine, however the adaptor may be a problem. If it is a genuine Avid 160-185 post mount as per the one in this link:
    It won't work with an SLX caliper. This is because the top mount is thicker than the bottom and the 2 mounting surfaces are not in the same plane. The Avid mount relies on the CPS washers to account for this. If this is the case then use the shimano mount with washers / spacers as said above.
    Sorry it will work.

Or how does the caliper work on a 6" or a 8" direct mount fork. The only issue could be contact of the caliper by and the adaptor.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    nicklouse wrote:
    davewalsh wrote:
    Sorry it will work.

Or how does the caliper work on a 6" or a 8" direct mount fork. The only issue could be contact of the caliper by and the adaptor.

Didn't work with my RX's, but I can't remember if it was the contact of the caliper+adapter (the center of it), or the mounting surfaces between the caliper and adapter.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    nicklouse wrote:
    Sorry it will work.

On a direct mount, the pads on the fork are in the same plane, with this particular adaptor they are different. Look at the pic below, you can clearly see that the caliper lugs are not parallel with the adaptor and the variation is accounted for in the CPS washers. It will fit together with any other caliper but as you tighten the bolts it will try and bend the lugs. I personally wouldn't be happy with it.
    avid2.jpg
  • WayneMonmouth
    WayneMonmouth Posts: 12
    edited January 2012
    I have a similar problem, I want to fit 185 onto my 180 shimano deoro lx. I thought it would fit as there is a little clearance on the caliper but unfortunately it catches. Can I just space the caliper off the mount with a washer? I don't think I need more than 2mm to get clearance.

sorry if this is hyjacking your thread, hope you don't mind.
  • nicklouse
    Yes. Or buy a 185mm adaptor.