Scott CR1 comp

nonshy
nonshy Posts: 22
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
I posted about buying a my first road bike a month or so and very grateful for all the replies!

I got a good deal on Scott CR1 comp 2011, so opted for that.... however, I'm just wanting to make sure the sizing is right and what i should check to make sure it is correct.

I'm 5'9 but i think i must have short legs 30"/31".... I've got a small and when standing with feet on the ground the frame sits about an inch below my crotch.

What other checks should/do i need to do? Any major issues if bike is too small?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• I`m 5`7 and i ride a small Scott addict.I don`t know if this helps but just thought i would share it.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    About an inch sounds ok, you don't need much stand over clearance on a road bike. Unlike a mtb where it's more important.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • nonshy
    thanks guys

think should be ok... just bit paranoid after forking out £££££
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Slightly too small is better than slightly too big. You can fit a longer / layback seatpost and a longer, flipped stem if it feels too cramped.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    I have a small and I'm 5ft8 and a 31ish leg. I fitted a fizik saddle and 100cm stem and it fits perfect. Cycled 350 miles in 3 days back in September on it and had no problems

Here's mine http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12801829
  • Interesting, as your height should be a Medium (like me).

And the medium feels fine for me, only got it as well (gorgeous looking bike!) but seems to fit me ok
  • gwillis
    I had a fitting at epic cycles (top blokes) I was on the cusp of a medium but the 53cm top tube fitted perfect , I picked up a bianchi Infinito the same time and although the top tube is the same that has a 110 stem oddly .
  • GSVBagpuss wrote:
    Interesting, as your height should be a Medium (like me).

I should re-phrase that -
    GSVBagpuss wrote:
    Interesting, as your height should be a Medium according to the online chart on the Scott website although Your Mileage May Vary(like me).
  • gwillis
    you got me thinking now. I know the top tube is 53.5 might be a medium then?
  • nonshy
    Mine's a small, 52.

I think it must be my short legs... I always buy trousers in a 'short' as well.

It's my first road bike, so nothing to compare it to... I suppose I'll only know for sure when out riding?
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Your starting point when setting up is, to NOT be able to see the front wheel spindle due to your handlebars, when sat in your 'normal' riding position.

Start there and then tweak away.
  • nonshy
    Postie - i can't see the spindle (thingy at the centre of the wheel)
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    nonshy wrote:
    Postie - i can't see the spindle (thingy at the centre of the wheel)
    Well if that's the case and you're not cramped or over reaching, then it's as good a fitting as your going to get over t'internet.
    Naturally this sort of thing is impossible to do, without looking.
    But you sound like you are in the right ball park.

You've got clearance for your man veg when standing and looking cool.
    Your head is in the right place.

So assuming you've not got 3 foot of stem showing and cow horn handle bars, you're probably close.

Only you can decide if you're on the money or not.
  • nonshy
    many thanks for all the responses... much appreciated.

getting out on saturday for first time... 18mph wind predicted!
  • smithaay
    smithaay Posts: 114
    That is a very nice first road bike :)
    hope u enjoy it.
    Eat.Ride.Sleep.
  • nonshy
    felt comfortable on my turbo trainer last night... think seat needs raising a cm or so though