Helmets for 1 yr old

benpinnick
benpinnick Posts: 4,148
edited February 2012 in Family & kids cycling forum
Ive got a new child seat on the back of one of my bikes for little Miss Pinnick, but I am struggling to get a helmet for her thats small enough. She's around a 45cm head circumference. Anyone come across anything small and well built? Most seem to be around 48+.
A Flock of Birds
+ some other bikes.

Comments

• We got Met (Super) Buddy helmets for ours as their first and they seem to start at 46cm, which may be of some help.

_
  • benpinnick
    Thanks, I looked at the mets, and I see the Elfo starts quite small. Might seek one out at a local shop.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • We've got a MET Buddy helmet that starts at 46cm.

We first tried using it in about September with a then 9 month old. It really wasn't safe so we had to give up - we could tighten the band up well enough but it was really difficult to get the straps tight enough (especially because babies aren't reknowned for being good at having helmet fitting sessions!) - I found that in the bike seat or the trailer the helmet would tend to pop forwards over her face leading to constant screaming!

Overall I'm really pleased with the helmet and I'm pretty confident it'll be great once she's a touch bigger, but the fitting is quite a big issue - just making a smaller band on a big helmet doesn't seem to work as well as it could. Would be interested to hear other people's experiences.

Dave
  • benpinnick
    We ended up getting the Met Elfo - seems great. I saw the buddy, but the elfo has a much flatter back, so it looks like it will work better in the seat. The little adjustable band snugs down really well, and the straps have a lot of adjustment too. Also, I notice the straps are some kind of infinite loop, which is nice so you dont end up with the cut ends hanging loose.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Raleigh Rascal is supposed to be the smallest in the UK

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/s ... le_helmets
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • I went through this process with a friend and came to the conclusion that the Raleigh is the smallest available. Maybe during winter months a hat underneath can help fill out a helmet? Kids do grow fast so they will grow into one that ius slightly too big very quickly, although a correct fit is important from the start.

We have to opposite problem in our family. The youth helmet I bought my 4 year old son is now too small! So, he's wearing my adult helmet with the straps and adjustments tightened fully up. It is winter though, so he's wearing a beanie under it too. My 1.5 yer old daughter has also outgrown the baby one and is wearing the youth one!
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    I've also put an extra set of pads in the helmet (a Lazer 'Baby on Board')to make it smaller.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    One thing that seems to have been overlooked or not mentioned is can the child support the extra weight of an helmet? The neck muscles are still developing at such a young age. I noticed the additional weight of a 125g helmetcam with my 30+ year old neck muscles.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • benpinnick
    Good wustion Redvee. Apparently, according to the experts, babies can support the weight after 1yr, but I guess that must also be dependent on the child. Our daughter could hold her head up on her front, pretty much from birth, so I think she's quite string in the neck...
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • simbob3
    simbob3 Posts: 12
    I got a small one for my nearly 2yr old from Tesco's of all places. They have to meet CE standards and plenty of padding inside. Was about 18 months ago though.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    benpinnick wrote:
    Good wustion Redvee. Apparently, according to the experts, babies can support the weight after 1yr, but I guess that must also be dependent on the child. Our daughter could hold her head up on her front, pretty much from birth, so I think she's quite string in the neck...
    It's easy, you just strap their head back to the child seat :-)
  • I agree the Raleigh Rascal is 44-50cm. So is still the smallest we have encountered. XXS!

Here is a link to the newest model for 2012 http://www.mailorderbikes.com/m4b0s50p12530/RALEIGH_Rascal_-_Miss
    "Excellence is not a skill. It's an attitude." - Ralph Marston