Specialized Status 2

2»

Comments

• Ordered the nano pedals in anodized blue today. Also began looking at other Superstar components and notice the coloured seatposts. QUite fancy removing the bland post and adding a bit of colour...question is, what colour do you think would tie in?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I don't like having two parts of the same colour next to each other, so i'd get a red seat clamp and keep the post, but that's just me being anal :)
    I'd probably go for the red post if I had to choose!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Few upgrades since my last visit! I am now stuck on what grips to get however...my current ones are really grubby and have worn down a fair bit! Would you personally opt for the same grips but in black (Peaty grips) or the Sunline Big S in baby blue. I am really struggling! Please give me your opinions on my bike, still have to fit my new The Industries Downhill saddle in black, my ethirteen SS Chain guide and white bashguard. Also looking at forks this weekend (40s or boxxers are my 2 choices)

35l9gfs.jpg
  • ilovedirt
    Go for some superstar grips, bit cheaper and just as good, make sure you get some bar ends as well, much nicer than those plastic ones ;) I really like the excel grip, really big and comfy.

As for forks, i'd go for boxxers, as they can be had cheaper, and i'm a rockshox man. Lots of people like 40s as well though. Having said that, the new marzocchi 888 RC3 is meant to be really good as well.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Regarding the Superstar grips, are they much longer than the Lizard Skins? Dont really fancy moving my gear changer/brake levers in any further if you get me mate. Am I right to assume that Boxxers are also cheaper to service than the 40s buddy?
  • ilovedirt
    they're about an inch wider i think
    apparently rockshox are meant to be easier to service than fox forks, dunno about cheaper. Had my rockshox forks apart a few times though, they're pretty simple inside.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Boxxers it is then mate! Received my new seat yesterday and new grips but havent installed them yet! Will get more pics soon, hopefully with a new set of forks installed!

xo2l2v.jpg
  • Small update:

acspcx.jpg
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    thats's looking really good now! don't think you need to change anything unless it breaks :P

that's the seat and seatpost combo i want to get for my bike
  • Haha thats easier said than done mate! Already have new rims on their way to me plus ordered fast black stanchions for the Boxxers :L

The seat and post combo is fantastic! I have the carbon post but which I had just got the normal one as weight saving is soo minimal!
  • jay12
    Haha thats easier said than done mate! Already have new rims on their way to me plus ordered fast black stanchions for the Boxxers :L

The seat and post combo is fantastic! I have the carbon post but which I had just got the normal one as weight saving is soo minimal!
    ahah it's addivtive isn't it! i got a new frame a few weeks back now and alreayd want to upgrade a load of parts on it :lol:

sweet, good to hear! i think i'll just get the standard one and cut it right down as i never put it up that high anyway
  • Haha too right it is! Being honest i'm getting the bike to the point where I want it so I suppose it should be getting cheaper from now on! Wheels, some mods on the Boxxers, an X0 rear mech and a rear air shock and ill be happy! haha

What frame did you go for mate?
  • jay12
    Haha too right it is! Being honest i'm getting the bike to the point where I want it so I suppose it should be getting cheaper from now on! Wheels, some mods on the Boxxers, an X0 rear mech and a rear air shock and ill be happy! haha

What frame did you go for mate?
    a 2009 intense slopestyle

p4pb8249720.jpg

i'm pretty desperate for some new forks though. the rebound on these is totally broken (still smooth though) but not worth fixing tbh as i'll have some totems in 2 months or so
  • That is sweet! Love the linkage system! Are you sticking with single crown forks buddy? They really suit that frameset
  • jay12
    That is sweet! Love the linkage system! Are you sticking with single crown forks buddy? They really suit that frameset
    thanks mate! yes. i'll be getting some rock shox totem forks for it. it's only 165mm on the back so a double crown wouldn't work
  • A more recent one of mines! Now fitted with X0 gearing and saint brakeset!

Mavic wheels laced to saint hubs getting installed this week! Then will move onto new forks!

2eqgrkj.jpg
  • ilovedirt
    New forks again? Why??
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    New forks again? Why??

Forks are the oldest component on the bike (2010) plus they are only race versions so lack full adjustability. Quite fancy a world cup boxxer or may look into doradas or kashima 40s
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For most people the R2C2 boxxers are nicer than the world cups and they need less maintenance. WC Boxxers are purely designed for high level racing and don't stand up to being abused then thrown back in the shed until next weekend.
    The 2012 Boxxers have hardly changed from the 2010 model.
    Send them to TF Tuned and get the dual flow dampers fitted and you will basically have 2012 R2C2 Boxxers.
    Dorado's & 40's both lack the reliability of the Boxxer and both need far more maintenance. If you go with 40's then get the non Kashima ones and fit SKF seals, they make it far more plush than the Kashima coating does.
  • a few changes...

lh4e1.jpg
  • Frame:
    M4 hydroformed tubing, 1.5" forged HT, ISCG mounts, 135mm rear spacing, full cartridge bearing pivots, 200mm travel, Rockguardz carbon downtube protector

Fork:
    FOX RACING SHOX 40 RC2 FIT SUSPENSION FORK 2013 in black (203mm travel), ODI fork bumpers in red

Rear Shock:
    Rockshox vivid Air R2C 8.75x2.75, Offset bushings to slacken geometry

Chainset:
    Shimano Saint M810 165mm crankset, slik graphics protectors, KCNC crank bolt in red

Chainring:
    Hope downhill chainring 36T in black, red KCNC chainring bolts

Cassette:
    SRAM PG970 9 Speed Downhill Cassette
    Chain Device:
    Truvativ X0 MRP chain guide with taco (ISCG Old 32-36T) in white

Bottom Bracket:
    Hope bottom bracket with ceramic bearings in red

Chain:
    KMC X9 9 speed vivid chain in red/silver finish

Front Hub:
    Hope pro 2 evo (hope team green) 20mm

Rear Hub:
    Hope pro 2 evo (hope team green) 10mm bolt-on

Rear Derailleur:
    SRAM X0, 9-speed, short cage, red anodised jockey wheels, Red SRAM B Bolt

Front Brake:
    Shimano Saint M810, Shimano Deore XT SM-RT76 6-Bolt Rotor 203mm, North Shore Billet adapter in anodised red, ebc red stuff brake pads

Rear Brake:
    Shimano Saint M810, Shimano Deore XT SM-RT76 6-Bolt Rotor 203mm, North Shore Billet adapter in anodised red, ebc red stuff brake pads

Brake Levers:
    Shimano Saint M810 brake levers

Pedals:
    Spank Spike pedals in red

Handlebars:
    Renthal Fatbar handlebar in gold (780mm length with 10mm rise)

Bar Ends:
    Straitline tapered bar ends in anodised red

Stem:
    Renthal Integra Downhill Stem

Headset:
    Cane Creek Angleset ZS49 - ZS49/30 (-1.0 degree cup), cane creek headset cap

Grips:
    Answer Fall Line DH grips in black with anodised red lock on collars

Saddle:
    SDG I-Fly I-Beam Storm AW Saddle in black/green finish

Seatpost:
    SDG Carbon Fiber I-Beam seatpost

Seatclamp:
    Straitline seatclamp in anodised red

Rims:
    Mavic 721 (hope hoops) rims

Front Tyre:
    Continental Der Kaiser DH, 26x2.5"

Rear Tyre:
    Continental Der Kaiser DH, 26x2.5"

Inner Tubes:
    Schrader valve 26x2.4/2.75, 1.2mm thick

Shifter:
    SRAM X0 redwin 9-speed shifter
  • Lovely bike, admittedly though i would have been more than happy with it how it was on the first post just with the RS boxxers and saved the extra cash.
    You finished upgrading or something left ?
  • Lovely bike, admittedly though i would have been more than happy with it how it was on the first post just with the RS boxxers and saved the extra cash.
    You finished upgrading or something left ?

thanks for your comment mate!

The boxxers were heavily abused, needed more than a service to bring them back to former glory. I have always wanted 40s so thought i would buy the 2013s which i have no regrets .

as for upgrades...im pretty much finished! currently changing all the main bolts to titanium (in a hope team green colour) and a few more bling parts!
  • See you're now selling it, how comes? Surely does what you need it to :P