Seriously itchy at the top of my inner thigh

hora
hora Posts: 86
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Yes laugh! Its not a STD. I think its thrush-like? At the begining of December we had a really long wet and cold ride and I remember my shorts rubbing alot on the inside of my thigh. After a week or so my upper/top/inside where the crease is started itching like crazy. Being a man I've just ignored it.

I'm going to go to my Docs but I was hoping I could help cut to the chase as I imagine its a fairly common cyclists complaint in wet/cold road and offroad riding.
Hang onto the headboard baby!

Comments

• navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Athlete's foot type cream. Go to your chemist and tell her you have Jock Itch. She will smile knowingly and gve you some cream.

Just dont ask her to apply it for you.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I've yet to meet a Hora admit to having an STD! :oops: Before I get my coat, you might want to try some hydrocortisone ointment if the itching persists.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    As with all medical queries, I think it's best not to go to a qualified medical professional but instead throw it open to the masses on a cycling forum.

;)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Nuggs wrote:
    As with all medical queries, I think it's best not to go to a qualified medical professional but instead throw it open to the masses on a cycling forum.

;)

This. And its crabs. :lol:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Is there any kind of visible rash? I've had scabies a couple of times, and that presents as an itchy rash in the warmer, more humid little crevices.

If no rash, is the skin a different colour? Ringworm is another friend of mine (although I don't find that itches). Same fungus as causes the aforementioned jock itch and athletes foot. Try some Daktarin or Canesten cream.

Also as already pointed out, you could always ask a doctor
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Bathe occasionally.
  • Maybe invest in some new shorts too. And some Assos cream.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    Yep, sounds like Dhobie Itch / Jock Itch in which case a few days treatment with Mycil or similar usually calms things down.
  • keef66
    I do bathe daily, but I seem to have skin which is a theme park for microorganisms. Mind you, now I'm familiar with the symptoms, it's often cheaper to get something over the counter than to go to the quack for a seven quid prescription.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Navrig wrote:
    Athlete's foot type cream. Go to your chemist and tell her you have Jock Itch. She will smile knowingly and gve you some cream.

+1

Don't waste your doctors time with sweat rash/jock itch or whatever you call it. There's a canesten cream for it

http://www.canesten.co.uk/lifes-little- ... t-rash.htm

A bit embarrassing but pretty common for athletes.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Navrig wrote:

+1

A bit embarrassing but pretty common for athletes.

Even though this is a cycling forum that is going a bit too far.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    true true
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Since you are refreshingly frank,why not try Channel 4`s street doctor so we can get a better diagnosis?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    In the meantime this may provide some relief :wink:

http://www.gizmag.com/manta-bicycle-saddle/15251/
  • hora
    :mrgreen: The replies made me smile
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    keef66 wrote:
    I do bathe daily, but I seem to have skin which is a theme park for microorganisms. Mind you, now I'm familiar with the symptoms, it's often cheaper to get something over the counter than to go to the quack for a seven quid prescription.

Move to Wales, the prescriptions are free :)
  • keef66
    I'd happily move to Wales. Persuading my wife might be a problem though.

Anyway, I'm on a pick-n-mix selection of other pharmaceuticals, so I've got a pre-paid prescription card
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    hora wrote:
    ... (yadda, yadda, yadda... itching like crazy. Being a man I've just ...

I stopped reading at this point, knowing that even if there were pics, I wouldn't want to see.

:cry:
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • hora
    Why oh why when you drop your pants at the Doc's it has to be a young female Doctor? :?

She gave me http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002649.html
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    If it does turn out to be Jock Itch, then Lamisil spray is the most effective of the many treatments I have had to use over the years.

It typically develops after a long day ride in the rain or, if you are a member of the Tartan Army, after a few days on Continental maneouvres wearing traditional highland dress. :shock:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• keef66
    If somebody has to scrutinise my dangly bits, I insist it is done by a young female doctor!

And that stuff won't clear it up if it's a fungal infection; she clearly thinks it's something else.
  • hora
    Well she (Doc) took me up a dead end. Lamisil spray worked. Ta guys :mrgreen:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    keef66 wrote:
    Is there any kind of visible rash? I've had scabies a couple of times, and that presents as an itchy rash in the warmer, more humid little crevices.

If no rash, is the skin a different colour? Ringworm is another friend of mine (although I don't find that itches). Same fungus as causes the aforementioned jock itch and athletes foot. Try some Daktarin or Canesten cream.

Also as already pointed out, you could always ask a doctor

You've got Ringworm as a friend? Does it send you cards at Christmas and birthdays?

The older I get, the better I was.

• hora wrote:
    Why oh why when you drop your pants at the Doc's it has to be a young female Doctor? :?

Yeah and they never open the window to let you in!!!
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • keef66
    "Well she (Doc) took me up a dead end."

Don't get that kind of personal attention at my doctors!
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    ''she clearly thinks it's something else.''

Trimovate is domestos for dermatologists . If you haven't a clue what it it is you can slap on a cream with steroid, antibacterial and antifungal in it and it will probably go away. Most doctors would give you canesten or something similar (generic) which is antifungal but also to some extent antibacterial. The problem with topical antibacterial antibiotics that can be used systemically (like tetracyclines) is that they encourage drug resistant germs to flourish ; so we are not supposed to use them much.

Once it has settled careful attention to your perineum at all times will reduce future problems IF it is just ordinary jock-itch. Good cycling pads washed every day. tiny amount of e45/aqueous cream on the pads. Too much wets the skin and can cause problems. Wash with soap daily. No undies in the cycle shorts.
    Young men sometimes sweat very much. It might be worth trying an antiperspirant spray like Sure for sensitive skin in the green can if you are one of those. Otherwise avoid putting chemicals down there.
    ps nystatin as in trimovate is not a great choice for jock itch, but would work for intertrigo . that is probably why the lamisil worked better.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow