Idly thinking last night

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
The difficulty with hydraulic brakes on drop bars is incorporating a master cylinder into a brifter, or going for a clumsy cable-to-master-cylinder bodge.

.....with Di2 or equivalent this becomes a non-issue......

Wouldn't that be nice!

8)
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It'd be nice (I guess), but also unnecessary additional weight. Well-tuned dual pivots do a good enough job as far as I am concerned.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    would you need the power of hydraulics on a road bike?

admittingly the brakes on my sectuer get quite frightening in the wet.

anyone remember the Mavic rims that were etched along the rim to give my abrasion for the brake shoes to grip?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    mudcow007 wrote:

It's more about the consistency I think.

A 140mm rotor would be enough, no wearing out rims, no loss of brakes in the wet.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mudcow007
    bails87 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

A 140mm rotor would be enough, no wearing out rims, no loss of brakes in the wet.

but what about hydro cantis - like Magura's?

ive got a HS33 on my hardtail (no disk mounts) swweeet brake
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    There was an article on the main site about discs on everything. It basically said why wouldn't you. Weight will come down as they make road specific discs, consistency is improved, rims will be lighter as they won't need a braking surface so less rotational mass. Improved braking in the wet is the biggest benefit for me.
  • SimonAH
    Veronese68 wrote:
    There was an article on the main site about discs on everything. It basically said why wouldn't you. Weight will come down as they make road specific discs, consistency is improved, rims will be lighter as they won't need a braking surface so less rotational mass. Improved braking in the wet is the biggest benefit for me.

This, faster wheels, consistent braking, little or no degredation in braking in the wet, longer life from your rims (essentially making wheels cheaper too!). All around a win win win win.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Heavier.

Uglier.

Possibly less aero?
  • bails87
    mudcow007 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

They still wear rims though. Rims are harder and more expensive to replace than a rotor.
    MTB/CX

• mudcow007
    bails87 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

They still wear rims though. Rims are harder and more expensive to replace than a rotor.

touche'
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Surely for a road bike cable discs are fine if you must.

I'd add complexity and hassle as another minus for discs. Discs are fine when they work but absolutely vile when they don't.

I think discs do have some advantages for commuter bikes (and MTBs but the advantages are much more obvious there in any case) but for weekend posh I can't think of much in favour of them.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • SimonAH wrote:
    faster wheels

Strange you should mention that as I've never come across a disc wheel that didn't rub a bit. I like the free rotation of my wheels.
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Isn't that due to poorly adjusted brakes or slightly bent discs. Mine don't rub at all.
  • SimonAH
    Ah, good point (hadn't considered that). Yes, discs will always rub to a miniscule level.

But ugly? I rather like. Heavier? A tiny bit, but a large proportion of that weight is near to the hub rather than out at the rim, so far better in terms of rotational mass.

Admittedly not for everyone, and not for all applications (the idea of grafting a hydraulic front end onto my fixeh is repellent), but for a workhorse all-weather bike? I can only see upsides.

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    My mtb disc brakes don't rub when properly set up...
    + they nominally recentre themselves (juicy 3s) if they aren't properly set up.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I kinda wish both my ribble commuter and dolan cx had discs mostly for the wet and mud stopping power, a few times last year i had to feathered the brakes like a demon descending in rain or sliding around in the mud, neither of which have ever been a problem on the MTB with hydro discs.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I'd have thought good cable discs would be better for a road bike. I seem to recall early Honda Fireplaces had a cable operated clutch as it was lighter than hydraulic actuation.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Bit of a myth that discs always rub - the hydraulic Avids on the Duster don't rub - self adjusting see ? TBH when I had the CdF I found the discs excellent both on and off road - the only reason I sold it was because the frame was too small and I couldn't get comfortable. There may be something in the weight argument at the moment but I'm sure someone will come up with a lightweight alloy disc
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    anyone know if it's possible to retro fit disc brakes to a frame?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    itboffin wrote:
    anyone know if it's possible to retro fit disc brakes to a frame?

Yep, if you're properly handy with a welder. I think I'd only consider it on a steel frame, but even then I'd be a bit nervy.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Biggest problem on road bikes might be flex on the front fork
  • jds_1981

I think that it would just require different design - the same amount of force is going to go through the fork for the same amount of deceleration where-ever the brakes are. Just the forces will be in different places.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • mudcow007

i dont think i have ever seen carbon forks with disk mounts?

i know this years Tricross with disks have alloy forks, i dunno if that is a cost saving thing though?
  • mudcow007
    jds_1981 wrote:
    website wrote:
    - Lightweight alloy fork is ultra-durable and disc-ready, while the lowrider rack and mudguard mounts allow you to keep the water off and the load well-balanced
  • jds_1981
    mudcow007 wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    website wrote:
    - Lightweight alloy fork is ultra-durable and disc-ready, while the lowrider rack and mudguard mounts allow you to keep the water off and the load well-balanced

bah, the big overview description said carbon forks.

How about http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/18859/product ... -fork.aspx
    ?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    You can have disc mounts with any material. Cotic do a carbon fork with disc mounts for their X 'cross bike.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • mudcow007
    jds_1981 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    website wrote:

bah, the big overview description said carbon forks.

How about http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/18859/product ... -fork.aspx
    ?

dammit! ok you won this round :wink:

i thought they were usually alloy because of the forces involved with discs....

good spot
  • bails87
    Boardman CX has discs on a carbon fork.

The Planet X dirty disco is fully carbon, don't know if there are alloy inserts at the brake mounts though.

Plenty of rigid MTB forks are carbon, lots of carbon MTB frames have fully carbon rear brake mounts too.
    MTB/CX