'Attachable Trailer Makes Any Bike Electric'

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited January 2012 in Commuting general
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Trailer-Bike-Electric-Bicycle,news-13685.html

Ridekick-Trailer,E-O-320640-13.jpg

I'm no fan of electric bikes (OK I've never tried one not likely to any time soon) but for those of you struggling to get your Pinarellos up a hill after doing the shopping there, ugh, this.

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Interesting! They're a little shy on how it works - looks to be a flexible shaft driving a plate that you mount on the rear frame, but couldn't see any detail.
    Wonder if it can be used sans batteries for a lighter, unassisted trailer? Since they're using lead batteries, rather than Lithium, must be a fair weight. Regen. power would also improve it.
  • http://www.ridekick.com/products/

Looks like the trailer powers its own wheels and effectively pushes the bike through a gimbled rigid coupling to a quick release hitch on the rear axle of the bike.

RKPT_ChainAndClutch-150x150.png
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • I am an idiot who quotes spam.

I will not do it again.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Haha! As a thought experiment I was wondering about the legality of putting my petrol.genny onto a trailer and then running a cable from the trailer to a 240v motor on the bicycle :-D

Would that make it an electrically assisted pedal vehicle and therefore exempt from all the regulations? I reckon you could rig it to go way faster than safe!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SimonAH wrote:
    Would that make it an electrically assisted pedal vehicle and therefore exempt from all the regulations? I reckon you could rig it to go way faster than safe!
    Contradiction, as you'd still have to comply with the electrically assisted pedal vehicle regulations wouldn't you!

One of which is the max design speed....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.