Manitou SX-R 2000/1

Kris1
Kris1 Posts: 24
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Any ideas,

I have a 2000/1 Stumpy with Manitou SX-R on it.

I was out on a enduro today and popped bushing and seal on one leg. I have taken the outer fork off and cleaned it greesed it and popped the bushing and seal back in. Nohing seems to be damaged.

Problem is that the damper drop out nut doen't seem to screw into any thing. The forks are not compressed and I cant see how it locates.. Ant thoughts

Cheers

Kris

Comments

• bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    There are two ways to fix it depending on what tools you have on hand.

The easiest way is to release the spring pressure in the other leg and push down hard onto the lowers (the forks need to be upside down at this point) before screwing the bolts in.

If it is an air spring, you'll need to release the pressure via the Schrader valve. Then, you'll need a shock pump in order to pump it back up.

If it is a coil spring and elastomer type, you'll need to unscrew the top assembly as if you were doing a regrease of the coil spring.

The hard way is to remove the lowers, then manually extend the damper leg by pulling on it, increase compression or lock out the damper via the adjuster, before putting the lowers back on and screwing the bolts in. You will be working against the spring in the other leg, so you'll need to apply just the right downward pressure on it in order to locate the bolt holes (a crosshead screwdriver smaller in diameter than the threaded hole might help).

Be sure to check the direction of the bolt threads. And, also be sure to locate both holes before tightening them down - that is, loosely screw one bolt in followed by the other before tightening them both down. They only need to be hand tight, so don't over torque them, especially the damper bolt as it's made of aluminium.