bike route toaster at moment

satnavsteve
satnavsteve Posts: 223
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Is anyone else having issues transferring TCX files to their garmins at the moment?

I have had mixed success over the last few days - sometimes it works with communicator, sometimes it doesnt....

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes - seemed to work OK when I saved it to my pc and then put it on the garmin from there though.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • I've tried downloading courses to the garmin, and downloading to file (always tcx), and just get redirected to a "page cannot be found". i.e. communicator doesnt open. I've checked communicator on their test page and it says installed and working correctly.

Also tried redrawing routes several times.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    I've had a problem in the past using google chrome and have had to use IE when downloading the course.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I'm very new at this (discovered the site yesterday, Garmin for Xmas) but no it was nt working for either - I am using Chrome though so I ll try in FF tonight....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Tom Butcher
    Ah that might explain my problems as I was using Chrome too. As I say though sticking it on the pc then the garmin did work - used the course yesterday no problems.

• no problems using chrome - but seriously guys - try Strava!
  • Tom Butcher
    What are the advantages of Strava MR ? I've had a quick glance at it and it looks like it offers a lot more than BRT but for those who just want to plot a route and stick it on their GPS are there any advantages. Must admit I've found BRT pretty simple and until this week it's worked perfectly for me.

• ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Tom - I think there is another Strava appreciation society thread live at the mo... check it out, they are more expert/nurdish than me and will give you a better understanding
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    EDIT - No, does nt work in FF either - GPX is okish but TCX is totally useless....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Strava is great for analysing your ride when you return because it lets you compare sections of your ride against other people who have ridden the same section. It does not let you draw a route and output that to a TCX file.

The OP is about transferring files to their Garmin, something Strava isn't designed to do.

I use http://www.ridewithgps.com to plan routes and Strava to look at the data afterwards.
  • I've just managed to upload some routes at last.

Designed, saved and did everything via Google Chrome and it has worked. Whether it will or not next time I try remains to be seen.