Humble apologies for tomorrows weather

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
I cleaned not one but three bikes today including my MTB ..... I know I know it's just wrong but i need to fit mud guards and basically it was so dirty I couldnt even get a good seal for the cruds.

So when the biblical rain/snow/sleet/hail comes tomorrow it's my fault :oops:
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Anyone seriously considering riding in the 30mph gusting to 60mph winds combined with heavy rain forecast for London? Sounds like a good way to get blown under a tipper lorry :|
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Naaaah, it's my fault. I just cleaned two but I did really deep cleans - you know, like new. And I Super Resin Polished everything including the non brake track parts of the wheels, including the spokes, I flossed the mechs, cleaned the chainring teeth and even cleaned the tyres.

So it's my fault.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Anyone seriously considering riding in the 30mph gusting to 60mph winds combined with heavy rain forecast for London?

I'll be there! :P
  • itboffin
    Rolf F wrote:
    Naaaah, it's my fault. I just cleaned two but I did really deep cleans - you know, like new. And I Super Resin Polished everything including the non brake track parts of the wheels, including the spokes, I flossed the mechs, cleaned the chainring teeth and even cleaned the tyres.

So it's my fault.....

apart from the super resin +1

:cry:

but seriously cleaning a MTB must be against the law? in my defense I couldn't see the down tubes.

You did use foaming degreaser right?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Well, certainly not my fault ya bunch of bastards.
  • rolf_f
    itboffin wrote:
    apart from the super resin +1

:cry:

but seriously cleaning a MTB must be against the law? in my defense I couldn't see the down tubes.

You did use foaming degreaser right?

Naah, Fairly Liquid (cos hands that do bike cleaning can be as soft as your face with mild green Fairy Liquid - so I've heard!). To be fair, both bikes only had one rides worth of crud on in the first place. But that might imply I didn't even need to clean them......
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Anyone seriously considering riding in the 30mph gusting to 60mph winds combined with heavy rain forecast for London? Sounds like a good way to get blown under a tipper lorry :|
    Yep... PT isn't an option any more as far as I am concerned... bit of wind is no excuse...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Not afraid to say it, but if it's lashing down as in torrential, then I'll wimp out and grab a train. Don't care about any amount of wind though :D
  • itboffin
    @rjsterry

M
    T
    F
    U

Oh and hurry up and finish that restoration already
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Sealskinz and overshoes on standby, alarm set for 5.30. See you tomorrow weather.
    Might take the shorter route though if it's cats and dogs
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rjsterry
    itboffin wrote:
    @rjsterry

M
    T
    F
    U

Oh and hurry up and finish that restoration already

Whatev's. It's the bridges that worry me - not got much in the way of balast.

And yes. :oops:
    The house isn't sucking money as fast as I can earn it now, so it stands a chance of getting going.

Eerily still and clear out there at the moment.

EDIT: Hmm. Maybe the XCWeather website is over-egging it a bit - BBC Weather doesn't look anywhere near as bad. Will have to see in the morning.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    Hmm. Maybe the XCWeather website is over-egging it a bit - BBC Weather doesn't look anywhere near as bad. Will have to see in the morning.
    www.raintoday.co.uk shows a pretty heavy storm just crossing Ireland... think its going to be pretty nasty...
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    It's 5.20 in the morning, I'm sitting in my kitchen and I tell ya: from what I can hear from outside it will be difficult journey in about half an hour for me... Just in case - it was lovely to meet you all...
  • 6:15am... damp out, but quiet... light drizzle.... not so bad (he said hopefully)
  • dhope
    6:15am... damp out, but quiet... light drizzle.... not so bad (he said hopefully)

6.22am
    Commute done
    No rain
    Tailwind
    Flew in, 19.3mph overall average on the fixed

May pay for it on the way home
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    Er woken at 4.30 by the sounds of the world collapsing around me, have delayed my journey in until there's so light to see by.

Where was that forecast? :?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I sponged off both MTB's yesterday as well - according to the bathroom scales I got 2 pounds of mud of EACH of them - with all this cleaning it was bound to rain!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    In London..well..no sign of the heavy rain forecast, and a tail wind in. WIN WIN!
  • nich wrote:
    In London..well..no sign of the heavy rain forecast, and a tail wind in. WIN WIN!

no rain on my way in but the wind was a killer. 45 degree headwind so progress was somewhat slower than normal. looking forward to tailwind home tonight ( yeah right , we know it will turn. )
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Gusting at probably something like 60-70 round here, it's bin day and I've been awake since 6 to the sound of bins and their contents blowing up the street.
  • Well the ride to work was relatively dry and uneventful apart from a couple of 1m sideways translations... The wind in town is very fickle, one minute I'm bowling down Oxford street at 15mph without pedalling :) after I released the brakes at the lights and then suddenly the same wind has flipped round and is trying to push me backwards...

overall it was manageable....
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I have to confess to getting off and walking twice on the way into the office this morning - god knows what speed the wind was gusting at but it was NOT safe hitting me from the side.

Left a perfectly good car with heated seats and windscreen wipers on the driveway - is there a name for this condition?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I cycled in.

Was OK.

Little gusty.

Didn't walk a jot.
  • rjsterry
    I cycled in.

Was OK.

Little gusty.

Didn't walk a jot.

Ditto. Took ITB's advice and it was actually quite enjoyable: emptyish roads, massive tailwind, a bit of drizzle. The only dodgy bits were a sudden side gust from the Millbank tower and some clown on Old Street Roundabout getting in the wrong lane, then swerving across me when he realised he was going to miss his exit.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rolf_f
    The polish did it's job and the bike is still fairly clean (back wheel aside).
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    I cycled in.

Was OK.

Little gusty.

Didn't walk a jot.

Ditto. Took ITB's advice and it was actually quite enjoyable: emptyish roads, massive tailwind, a bit of drizzle. The only dodgy bits were a sudden side gust from the Millbank tower and some clown on Old Street Roundabout getting in the wrong lane, then swerving across me when he realised he was going to miss his exit.

Yeah.

Ride home on the singlespeed might be interesting.

Whacked some mudguards on my bike > totally forgot that, being short, I have some proper toe-overlap.
  • dhope
    Whacked some mudguards on my bike > totally forgot that, being short, I have some proper toe-overlap.
    Hm, I was thinking of mudguards for the SS but there's a bit of overlap already and didn't even consider that guards could make this worse. It's a smaller frame than I was on last year. Hmmm
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    dhope wrote:
    Hm, I was thinking of mudguards for the SS but there's a bit of overlap already and didn't even consider that guards could make this worse. It's a smaller frame than I was on last year. Hmmm

It's alright.

Just be gentle on the mudguards.
  • rjsterry
    dhope wrote:

It's alright.

Just be gentle on the mudguards.

I have this problem, and I'm average height. Without guards or overshoes, toes just clear the front wheel, but with guards and/or overshoes, there's about half an inch of overlap - most obvious at low speeds and filtering through stationary traffic, when you tend to turn the bars more. Not sure there's any way around it other than to just be aware of it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    That was f***n scary ride this morning... Thanks to you all who cleaned their bikes yesterday. :/ Instead of 48 mins I did it in 1h30mins. Good time... But I'm alive!

That's in Torbay/South Devon.