Boardman BB30

Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper Posts: 420
edited March 2012 in MTB general
I remember on here some time ago people where having problems with the BB30's on boardmans.
I was just wondering if this is still an ongoing issue and if people are still having problems, or has it been solved?

Comments

• picked up my boardman pro couple months ago, did start squeeking inside 30 miles, halfords took it out; greased and re-fitted it been fine since.

called to advise them 19:00 on the saturday, mechanic fixed on the sunday morning. cannot complain as wouldnt expect that quick turnaround from lbs, not on a sunday anyways.

hope this helps.
  • You just gotta keep em greased. Once the grease is washed away (can literally take 1 ride because BB30 seals are non-existant) they start to creak.

I clean and pack mine with teflon every 3 or 4 rides depending on how wet it was as its a piece of piddle to do.
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    You just gotta keep em greased. Once the grease is washed away (can literally take 1 ride because BB30 seals are non-existant) they start to creak.

I clean and pack mine with teflon every 3 or 4 rides depending on how wet it was as its a piece of piddle to do.

I've just bought a Boardman MTB which I believe is fitted with the BB30, could you please tell me which grease is suitable to use and give me an idea of how to do it? Cheers. :)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Bikehut Teflon Grease: £5.99

Undo the self extracting bolt (the recessed one on the non-drive side of the cranks), remove the NDS crank, tap the now exposed crank axle with a rubber mallet to knock it out, grease the bearings, then replace the cranks.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    Bikehut Teflon Grease: £5.99

Undo the self extracting bolt (the recessed one on the non-drive side of the cranks), remove the NDS crank, tap the now exposed crank axle with a rubber mallet to knock it out, grease the bearings, then replace the cranks.

yup, I believe its a 10mm alley key for the self extracting bolt, but you need to loosen the pretensioner 1st (the big black nut on the nds with a tiny grub screw in it).

You'll need a lot of force to get the driveside crank arm out as its tapered... I found it best to have the bike upside down and a foot on the saddle to stop the bike moving. You need to take the chain off or take it off the chain rings.

Just make sure there is nothing valuable on the other side, my cranks went about 3 ft when they eventually did come out!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Ah, that sounds a bit different to the one on my Boardman CX, but then it's FSA not SRAM.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • broona
    Thanks for the replies, thought you said it was easy to do, lol?! ;)
  • 1st time is hardest lol... it does get easier! :lol:
  • took mine it for the six week service, was advised they now confirmed it as a known issue and have resolved it so replaced the BB during the service. ;-)
  • broona
    smokymcjoe wrote:
    took mine it for the six week service, was advised they now confirmed it as a known issue and have resolved it so replaced the BB during the service. ;-)

Nice to know, mine goes in a week on Saturday, will be sure to request a replacement. :D
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    No point in changing it now unless its a problem. The problems were addressed and the latest batches (since maybe 0ctober) have been fine and more or less trouble free.

I ordered 5 new BB30s in October and have only used 1.
  • tomgag
    tomgag Posts: 170
    another Boardman ht pro's bb30 gave up the ghost...bought in September. 1800 miles on paved roads.

won't recommend or buy more boardman bikes in my life.

note: kmc10x snapped after 1400 miles and replaced by halford by 9 speed sram....

major headache for +1000pounds!!!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    1800 miles is not bad going! Wouldn't call a major problem, these things are common an any bike from 99 quid to 6999 quid. Though would be better if they had fit a 10 speed chain...
  • tomgag
    supersonic - that's one of the most ridiculous posts I've read in my life...

1800 miles is 5 months - you are trying to tell me that every 5 months my BB dies and I should be happy. Get the grip mate
  • supersonic
    Yes - some last less than a 1000 miles.

Hardly the end of the world. Replace or service, the bearings can be serviced.
    You just gotta keep em greased. Once the grease is washed away (can literally take 1 ride because BB30 seals are non-existant) they start to creak.

I clean and pack mine with teflon every 3 or 4 rides depending on how wet it was as its a piece of piddle to do
  • tomgag
    supersonic, buying and paying for a new bike I'm in the contract with halfords and paid for quality and warranty in the price.

Appreciate the fact you (or anyone) do it yourself but if it happens again to me I'm gonna request full refund/different bb+crankset. Three strikes and you out.
    I have never had any problems with all other BBs including campa, shimano or sram!

Boardman maybe is a great value but mine is pretty faulty.
  • supersonic
    Wear and tear is not usually included though, and you are liable to cover some aspects of maintenance. This is a point you'd have to argue with them. It is not a non servicable cartridge bottom bracket, but a much lighter unit with bearings that can be serviced. However if there is a genuine fault with the unit then you are entitled to a repair or replacement/partial refund.

In the winter I clean and service the bike almost weekly - check all bolts and bearings, clean bike, regrease, readjust and oil as necessary. This gets far more life out of parts. Has the bike ever been serviced?
  • tomgag
    like you supersonic. bike maintained and kept in great condition. greased, cleaned and the rest. believe me, i spent 20 years looking after several different bikes. but as i said before, i wasn't going to do anything with bb30 despite the fact (based on bikeradar forum) i was expecting problems with bb30 sooner or later.

will keep you posted with further update!
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Just remember that these issues are likely to effect most bb30 bikes-not just boardmans. Boardman does not make the BB. Ive heard reports of similar issues on much more expensive bikes such as the spesh stumpjumper evo.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    What's the point in BB30, seriously, i see no benefit to it. All i ever seem to read is that it breaks fast.
  • supersonic
    Stiffer, lighter set ups, but needs precise machining and often a bit of servicing.
  • tomgag
    bennett_346 - in a nutshell is for someone who uses bike a little bit and spend most days repairing/maintaining bb30.

supersonic - it affects boardmans more then the rest. i wonder if they tech division is so bad?

for me it like putting alloy bolts on rotors - totally and utterly rubbish!
  • broona
    My replacement bottom bracket eventually arrived at Halfords almost 5 weeks after they decided it needed replacing and ordered a new one. Perhaps the email of complaint I sent to their customer services department copied in to their chief executive David Wild on Sunday prompted them to get their finger out, lol!

It was swapped over this morning, and when they test rode it, there was still a creaking noise, so they got on to their head office, and the result is I'm now getting a full new bike, result! :twisted:

They're even going to build up the new one with the upgraded handlebars, stem, pedals, etc that I've put on my broken one, can't complain at that. :D