Marzocchi Fork Torture

trying to ride
trying to ride Posts: 21
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, this forum looks like the place to be.. so hello all!

wondering if anyone can help me, this is my problem:

after a long break from riding, i bought bike with Marzocchi DJ2 forks 7 months ago.
rebound replaced 2 months later when i noticed it was leaking.
rode well for a couple of months then felt sticky, unresponsive.
and so began the bike shop woes :(
guy at shop lubed them
one week later dust seals are leaking oil so bike sent away for new seals, takes 1 week (pressure wasnt even also)
ride bike 3 or 4 times on street, same oil leak and new seals are sticking out
bike shop replaces seals
ride bike 3 - 4 times, same oil leak.

pretty much just stopped riding it.

shop keep trying to fix it but its becoming not worth it. either ride to/from bike shop or dont have bike.lol.

were talking the kind of oil leaks that get on your brakes easily
any advice?
and
is this going to suck forever? should i just get a bike with rigid forks?
are marzocchi forks rubbish?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Tell them you want a new fork. They have had ample opportunity to fix it, have failed, so ask for a partial refund or new unit.
  • thats not an option, i have to ship it to the uk this week, im moving and they say the warranty is expired.
    just want to know if this is normal?
    or if anyone has any techinical insight.
    thanks for the advice thougj :)
  • trying to ride
    trying to ride Posts: 21
    edited January 2012
    the whole reapeting oil leak thing happened just after the warranty expired :(

is this kind of continual trouble par for the course with a lot of forks?

i had some bombers years ago,when they were made in italy. treated them awfully and the worked amazingly well for 3 years.
    on the other side ive had forks that were no use before. so i just dont know what the deal is. im a bit out of touch
  • supersonic
    Not normal. Forks need maintaining, but this is faulty.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    7 month warranty? Plus if they've been problematic since the outset they can't suddenly claim out of warranty just because they arsed around during the warranty period.
    Not usual but Marzocchi went through a rather bad period.
    If you are moving only options are to replace or let a decent place have a look at them when you get here.

Your LBS sounds worse than rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cool, thanks for the help
    are oil leaks definately a major problem?
    i might just bin them or sell for spares,they have kind of spoilt my return to riding and i want them out of my life. do you what forks are bombproof these days?
  • whats LBS?
  • 6 month warranty btw
  • right now, if i leave the bike for a few days there is a build up of oil where the outer shell of the fork meets the seal.
    is that bad? apologies for being a noob
  • cooldad
    Local Bike Shop.
    No forks are bombproof, but they rarely fail like that, as SS said, not normal, they sound like a duff set.
    Where are you now - 6 month warranty sounds a bit rubbish.
    Standard Marzocchi warranty is 24 months except "This warranty does not cover, as they are not original non-conformities,items and substances subject to normal wear occasioned by use, such as oil, sealing rings, dust seals, and sliding bushes."
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ah, my documentation isnt in english, thanks for the help.
    going to nip this in the bud in the uk, get rid of the bike and maybe start again

im pretty sure my old bombers were nearly bombproof. they were shockingly good in the face of exteme neglect
  • guy in the bike shop goes on about how more expensive parts are more prone to trouble.
    nearly punched the wall the 10th time he said it.
    (EDIT) i bought one of the only bikes in there without Suntour forks :mrgreen: what can ye do?
  • just so you know, ive tried every angle with these guys. i dont think i can get a replacement.
    im in eastern europe, bad consumer rights.
    im essentialy f**ked
  • can anyone tell me, if i leave the bike for a few days there is a build up of oil where the outer shell of the fork meets the seal.
    is that bad?
    or am i over reacting?
  • cooldad
    Bit of a smear when they are being used is ok, not if they're just standing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Pictures will help...
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • supersonic
    You fork is buggered. Stop riding it and get it sorted, or replace.
  • sam0881b.jpg

ok, heres the best i could do.

unfortunately i didnt take the pic before i wiped the oil off.
    seal seems fully inserted (a little uneven in one place but bike shop said its ok
  • after all the confusing non-advice from the shop, i honestly have no idea if they are faulty, if im taking it too seriously or if they just cant fix bikes.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/sam0881b.jpg/ (air adjust side of fork)

unfortunately i didnt take the pic before i wiped the oil off.
    seal seems fully inserted (a little uneven in one place but bike shop said its ok

apologies for the multiple posts, figuring out delete now ;) my forum skills arent too sharp
    supersonic, thanks for the advice :)