Increasing range on the bike

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited January 2012 in Health, fitness & training
I'm going to have to start thinking seriously about upping my game this year... I'm in pretty decent shape, but my riding is almost always a reasonably high-energy, 30km-or-thereabouts ride. But later this year it looks like I'm soloing 10 at Kirroughtree, and doing the Tour de Ben Nevis, both of which are more distance that I've ever ridden in a day without uplifts...

So. I'm doing general gymwork anyway, core strength, cardiac stuff etc which should help (by letting me work less hard) but what's the best way to gear up for just carrying on for longer? Is there anything else I can do apart from just riding more?
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Add more leg work, squats,presses,curls and such. Intervals on a bike (cybex and techogym equipment)are good for building strength on climbs and resting recovery capacity.

You're already working core/upper body and cardiac system so probably no need to change that.
  • Northwind
    Grand, thanks... I'm addicted to the squat machine in our gym :lol: I think I've been avoiding proper structured intervals but time to get into them I guess.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Gym work will help but there is nothing like actually riding your bike more to make it easier to ride your bike more.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Northwind
    Quite difficult to arrange unfortunately, I'm still riding 3 or 4 times a week + commuting so I'll only be able to manage a more extended ride once a week at most, without ditching another ride.
    Uncompromising extremist