What a mistake to make

t.m.h.n.e.t
t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
38k - lots of hills - inexperienced fat lad on my spare roadie - dangerous gusts at every gate or hole in the hedge

I am broken and my chest is on fire but first ride of 2012... COMPLETE :twisted:

Comments

• Thirty seven miler for my first ride of 2012. Flatlands variable windspeed/direction. Took me two and a half hours and my energy levels seem to be low before I even set off.

I've concluded that for some reason the threashold of my cycling is down to the two hour mark :( then I start to struggle. Don't know why I've deteriated so much but I'll have to work on getting that two hour mark raised.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    We were all a bit sluggish on the return trip,the -5 probably didn't help lol. I played it safe with a compression layer,base layer and softshell jacket + hat and scarf and was still freezing. Should have paid more attention to my feet which took 30mins+ in the shower to feel normal again.

All well fuelled up too, I'm blaming the cold on sapping our lovely glycogen stores for warmth opposed to endurance.

No pain no gain (apparantly :D)
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    37mi ridden, and 800metres climbed today.. My ride profile looked like this today.. (Went hill hunting, as it's flat where i live)

rideprofile2jan12.jpg

And virtually no flat. We were either going up, or down. Great ride, cold, little wind, warm sun, and good company.

Just need to work on my hill speed tbh! averaged 15.5mph for the whole ride today which is slow, but considering the climbs, it wasn't so bad.
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    anto164 wrote:
    37mi ridden, and 800metres climbed today.. My ride profile looked like this today.. (Went hill hunting, as it's flat where i live)

rideprofile2jan12.jpg

And virtually no flat. We were either going up, or down. Great ride, cold, little wind, warm sun, and good company.

Just need to work on my hill speed tbh! averaged 15.5mph for the whole ride today which is slow, but considering the climbs, it wasn't so bad.

15.5mph with all that climbing and you think you were slow, I think I would have stopped altogether. Must concentrate on climbing for 2012 :|:)
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Did 32 miles around Southend, Totally knackered, first ride for ages due to a torn calf muscle and a bad case of can'tbearseditis, also I'd fitted the new cleats I got for Xmas but they unfortunately they were the wrong type (Look Keo's instead of plain Look's!) so the few very small hills there are around here had to be tackled very gingerly.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,088
    No ride due to knee knackered at llandegla last week... :(
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    42 miles today; 7660 feet climbed. Cold, wet and windy; roads white with hail 4 times.

6621873107_5bc4f26d4d.jpg
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Can't ride at the moment because my wheel's knackered, but when jogging at a fairly high pace. Ouch.

Note to self: Don't eat quite so much next Christmas.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited January 2012
    First 90 min ride out for me today. Felt great on the way out and terrible on the way back into the wind. Definitely base miles and no way I was shifting away from the 39.

On the positive, bike felt great and I got the kit just right. A bit more effort and I hope to be getting some points on the century challenge.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    No ride as of yet, due to this F*CKING shingles !!!! Was hoping to go out today, never the less, as the weather was beautiful, but it turns out that slim fitting cycling tops + shingles = condiderable pain :(
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    vs wrote:
    42 miles today; 7660 feet climbed. Cold, wet and windy; roads white with hail 4 times.

6621873107_5bc4f26d4d.jpg
    That would be over 2300 metres or thereabouts in 42 miles. :?: Is your bike computer/gps calibrated properly? :wink:
  • vs
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, it's called Exmoor and I picked a hilly route, including one 1000 foot climb, which I attempted 4 times but I had to turn back on twice at about 800 feet because of the driving hail storms. You can pick this out between 5 and 20 miles on the graph. I choose a different route out of the valley the 5th time which was a 1300 feet climb.
    Don't ask about my average speed though.
  • vs wrote:
    Yeah, it's called Exmoor and I picked a hilly route, including one 1000 foot climb, which I attempted 4 times but I had to turn back on twice at about 800 feet because of the driving hail storms. You can pick this out between 5 and 20 miles on the graph.

Don't ask about my average speed though.

What was your average speed? :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • vs
    Lets just say I was out for over 3 hours trying hard to keep in level 2 :wink: