Raleigh road bikes?

ted-on-tour
ted-on-tour Posts: 225
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Anyone had any experiance with raleigh road bikes? The Avanti U6 Pro in particular.

Can't seem to find any real profesional reviews.
Pain is a momentary lapse of character.

Comments

• I got an airlite 100 for Christmas and although there are alot of bad things said about Raleigh its a good all-round bike.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    The Airlite is a great buy. Raleigh get a bad name for no good reason. It's a case of familiarity breeding contempt. The company have been trying to shake this off for years - and have suffered by cutting margins to get bikes shifting. Enjoy your Raleigh!
  • Well the U6 pro certainly ticks all the right boxes for me,

105 equiped, carbon/alu frame, carbon fork, and xero wheels, although I will be changing those.

we'll see, I pick it up on saturday.
  • Possibly not relevant too much to buying a bike just now, but I have a Raleigh Pro-Race that I bought in the mid 90s and had left lying in a shed for over a decade - I dug it out, gave it a clean and replaced the perishables/consumables and it's been going great since as I use it as my road bike when I am up north. I'd say they were decent quality back then, so hopefully they've kept the standards up.
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    I thought Raleigh were undergoing a resurgence. Wasn't one of their bikes in the top 3 of the bike of the year 2011? Try searching the Bikeradar main pages for a review of Raleigh bikes.

Regards, EarlyGo
  • I recently bought the Raleigh Airlite 400 from Wiggle when it was down to £539 and it has 105 to.

I find it a really nice bike to ride I replaced the pedals and tyres straight away but would do this with any new bike of this price range.

Have yet to meet another airlite on the roads.
  • OnePin
    OnePin Posts: 4
    I bought a Raleigh Carbon Comp 2010 last summer from my LBS. I initially went in to look at the Airlite 400 but the LBS were doing a deal on the Carbon Comp as it was the previous year's model and knocked 33% off the price so I bought it instead.

It's got full Shimano 105 group set, RS20 wheels, Michelin Lithion tyres and I love it!. Rides well and I have no complaints about it, so far. I think it's a good entry bike for me into the world of road cycling.

To be honest, I was a bit wary of the Raleigh brand's reputation but when I have been out with other cyclists, I have even received some genuine 'Nice bike' comments!

Andy.
  • I had the Carbon Comp as my first bike and it was absolutely brilliant. Moved up to a £2500 Specialized Tarmac Expert and could only slightly tell a difference (mainly wheels and Ultegra). These are great bikes and you won't be disappointed
  • Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    Two of the guys I ride with have airlite 100. They're fine machines. Can't keep up with either of them on my Boardman comp. That probably says as much about me as it does about the bikes though!!! :oops:
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • Well, seems promising, like I said, I pick it up on saturday just in time for a tinker and fettle and then out for a long ride on sunday. Can't wait!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks
  • they look good and ive read nothing but good reviews !
  • Picked it up today, gave it a good clean and degunge but once I had finished tinkering I went for a quick blast.....what a machine!!

Light as a feather and the gears are seamless, I'm chuffed to bits. Filled me with confidence coming down hill which was a pleasent surprise seeing as it was the first time I rode it.

Can't fault it really.....it is that good.
  • Mikey1976
    Mikey1976 Posts: 165
    Glad you liked it!!

Dont worry about the name, as I said earlier when you picked it up, I only sold it because Ive ordered another Raleigh.

This time its a Carbon Comp. :lol:
  • It wasn't the name that worried me to be honest, it was the lack of proffesional reviews, plenty of people singing thier praises, but no reviews on here or other cycling websites if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'm well pleased with it.

Cheers bud
  • Mikey1976
    Mikey1976 Posts: 165
    No worries.

Happy Cycling!