Changing rims

Burnz0
Burnz0 Posts: 35
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All.
I'm just about to buy a new Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 and am planning on possibly making a few changes to it, depending on cost, as I don't think it looks very good. The main issue I have is with the white rims and so I want to know how easy/costly it is to change these. I realise it's probably a waste of money if it's only a cosmetic change but it'd be nicer to ride a bike that looks nice.
From what I gather, I can get a set of plain black rims for £30ish which I can live with but I have little to no knowledge of what's involved with changing them so if its likely to be something a shop will need to do for me, what sort of price would you expect to pay??

thanks

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i pretty sure you cant just change the rims you would need new spokes to or it is adivised to use new spokes.

i guess and it just a guess a wheel rebuild would be between £20-30 not including any parts.

would it not be easier to buy a bike with blk rims if you feel that way about the white rims.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Rebuild two wheels £10-£20 each plus the cost of the rims. Don't bother. Probably cheaper to buy a new set and sell the old.
    Although IMO stupid thing to do, much better things to spend money on like decent tyres.
    What the bike looks like makes no difference to how it rides.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You can just change the rims, just need new ones with the same holes. It's relativly easy to do if you wheel build or even a good place to start, just slack off the whole wheel, tape up the new rim in same position next to it and change spokes to new rim. Wouldn't do it if you don't have a clue though.

You'd be better off getting a new black set and flogging the white wheels from new.

Still, the orange/red is more of a problem in my book!
  • Burnz0
    Burnz0 Posts: 35
    cheers for the responses.
    I don't like the look of the bike at all - white rims, orange/red etc. but thought if there was a cheap way of making it look slightly better it would be worth it. I know it'll just get covered in mud anyway, but there might be more incentive to clean it if it looks good underneath the dirt.
    I realise the looks aren't important and the ride is what counts, hence why I've been persuaded to go for the Decathlon instead of a nicer looking, worse spec'd branded bike for the same price, but the mind boggles as to why Decathlon decided the 2011 model looked good - some of the older versions are actually nice looking as opposed to just being acceptable.
    On the above, I think I'll just have to live with and make do until the time comes when there is a proper need to upgrade/fix. Its not going to be worth the effort and risk of messing something up just because it's the ugliest bit on an ugly bike.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Just clear up a few points.

You will most likely need new spokes if your new rims do not have the same ERD ( effective rim diameter) you will then need to pay for a wheel un build and a wheel rebuild.

Not worth it. If you want to change the colour of your rims buy new wheels.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown