finally admitting I can't beat the clipless mafia

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Just ordered some spuds and shoes to match.

I'm typing this from a pub in Newport in soaking wet freezing shoes thanks to an out of the blue (literally) horizontal hail and rain storm that has made me wimp out of my planned ride to Brizzle and warm up over some Old Rosie and a steak.

I love clipped pedals for the brogues to cowboy boots spontaneity of ride apparel, but I'm forced to my knees by the need for warm dry feet.

I hate being wrong, good thing that this is the first time :-)
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Someday, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    SimonAH wrote:
    I'm forced to my knees by the need for warm dry feet.

I don't get the connection between warm, dry feet and clipless pedals. Just get some Seal Skinz and wear them with your normal shoes. You don't need clipless for overshoes, either.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Agent57 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

I don't get the connection between warm, dry feet and clipless pedals. Just get some Seal Skinz and wear them with your normal shoes. You don't need clipless for overshoes, either.

Quite a few reasons come to mind. Eg you'd need different clips to wear overshoes since they make your feet much bigger and would misplace your contact point. Foot movement on the pedal won't do the lifespan of your overshoes much good either. Sealskins socks on their own aren't enough to keep my feet dry even with mudguards and it's better to try and keep the water out of the shoe if possible.

It's not essential but it makes some sense.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 266
    Rolf F wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Quite a few reasons come to mind. Eg you'd need different clips to wear overshoes since they make your feet much bigger and would misplace your contact point. Foot movement on the pedal won't do the lifespan of your overshoes much good either. Sealskins socks on their own aren't enough to keep my feet dry even with mudguards and it's better to try and keep the water out of the shoe if possible.

It's not essential but it makes some sense.

sealskin socks might not keep your feet warm on their own, but they will keep them dry.( do agree with using mudguards)

i use sealskin socks for sailing and they manage to keep my feet dry even if (when)i fall in!!!!! :D:wink:
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • Agent57
    Rolf F wrote:
    Sealskins socks on their own aren't enough to keep my feet dry even with mudguards and it's better to try and keep the water out of the shoe if possible.

Well, I wear SealSkins and they do keep my feet dry, even without mudguards. Maybe mine fit better than yours. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rolf_f
    Agent57 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Sealskins socks on their own aren't enough to keep my feet dry even with mudguards and it's better to try and keep the water out of the shoe if possible.

Well, I wear SealSkins and they do keep my feet dry, even without mudguards. Maybe mine fit better than yours. :D

Impressive! So, how are you beating gravity then? I think we'd all like to know :wink:

But do carry on enjoying your soggy wet shoes........

I was a bit surprised this weekend to keep dry feet - I was riding through surface water flowing down the road on fast descents and I hadn't bothered with the sealskins (for some reason I didn't expect it to rain much....). Turned out I didn't need to as even that amount of water didn't get past the overshoes. Might have been luck more than anything though.
  • Agent57
    Gravity's no more a problem than it would be with overshoes. They still suffer from the potential for water flowing down the leg. I wear my tights over the top of the socks, and that seems to be enough to keep the water out. I don't mind the wet shoes, because my feet are still dry. I just stuff them with newspaper when I get home.

But hey, I'm not saying SimonAH shouldn't get new pedals and shoes and join the rest of us in the modern world. Just seemed an OTT solution, given he doesn't really want clipless pedals. =)
  • rolf_f
    Agent57 wrote:
    But hey, I'm not saying SimonAH shouldn't get new pedals and shoes and join the rest of us in the modern world. Just seemed an OTT solution, given he doesn't really want clipless pedals. =)

He was just after any desperate excuse to backtrack and go clipless without shame. It didn't really work...... :lol:
  • Agent57
    A similar thought crossed my mind. ;) Sussed!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Oh you beastly beasts!

Really the point was I've failed to find waterproof shoes that fit in clips with stiff soles...
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I just use flats, on the commute the old leather shoes are waterproof enough for that.

for the MTB/road trips normally the northwave shoes are good enough for the mild conditions if it does get cold like last year then I use the walking boots at least on the MTB which are dry and very toasty.

these are with normal flats though, no clips.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've found sealskinz are more likely to keep my feet warm than dry, though they usually keep my feet dry too. If water does get in it's trapped, and warms up like it would in a wetsuit.

BTW, Spesh Defrosters are down to £80 at Evans, so I treated myself to some with my Xmas money*.

*I didn't get any Xmas money.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."