Audi A3 and bike carrying

Courage Monsieur
Courage Monsieur Posts: 534
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Hi

Have been offered an Audi A3 1.9TDI cheaply.

Has anyone got an A3? What're they like for carrying bike? I'm thinking two medium size frame road bikes, with as few wheel removals as possible.

I had a Thule tow bar rack on my last car. It was good but I don't want to go that way again with the tow bar, having to store the rack etc.

Happy 2012
Paul

Comments

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I think the question is, what age A3, and if the newer shape, then normal hatchback or sportback?
  • Good point, thanks!

It's a 5 door, 2007 model.

Looks like this one:
    D500_1_5_31_-1_-1_-1_-1_-1_-1_-1_-1_a3_sportback.jpg

Just wondering what two bikes in the back, seats down, is like.
  • i have an A3 i've only carried one bike though which was just a case of dropping the back seats & fitted straight in without any wheel removals....

mines the very first shape type 8L 3 door....
  • Yes just take the front wheel off and put the back seats down. I had an A3 but word of warning don't put bikes on Thule roof rack and ask your wife to drive into a outdoor car park under the height restriction, it cost £1800 to repair the roof, knackered the roof rack and dented an old MTB!
    Kona Cindercone 1995
    Trek 6500 2006
    Planet X SL carbon 2010
    Planet X Team Alu with SRAM apex
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,088
    invincible wrote:
    i have an A3 i've only carried one bike though which was just a case of dropping the back seats & fitted straight in without any wheel removals....

Wow, 8 litre - bet that was rapid
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I've got the 3 Bike Thule one sits the bikes high up.
    Ok but guzzels fuel when we go to the Alps 80-90 ish.
  • matthew h wrote:
    invincible wrote:
    i have an A3 i've only carried one bike though which was just a case of dropping the back seats & fitted straight in without any wheel removals....

Wow, 8 litre - bet that was rapid

or could be name for the 1st generation.....
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Just make sure the indicators work when you buy it - 98% of Audis around here seem to have non functioning indicators: you never know what the buggers are going to do next.

Same goes for most BMWs and generally all 4 x 4 shittathings.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have a cheapo / simple Halfords low level rack which with minor adjustment I've used on a Focus hatch, Cavalier saloon, Passat saloon, Focus estate, and now on an A3 sportback.

Bought it when kids were young and we were skint. It's carried up to 3 MTBs, but I reckon 2 bikes should be it's max limit.

Aerodynamically disastrous, but effective. Partially obscures the number plate and all the lights, so it's almost certainly illegal. Never had the option of adding towbar / electrics to company cars, and now the kids are grown up I only occasionally have to chuck my road bike in the back with the seats down.
  • Verbal
    Verbal Posts: 100
    I have an A3, same model, and use a Saris Bones (for 3 bikes) with no troubles whatsoever. Folds up neatly in the boot when I'm not using it.
  • Verbal - how many of your bikes could it fit in the back?

Thanks all. I'd check it mesel' but the car's located in deepest Wales...
  • Yossie wrote:
    Just make sure the indicators work when you buy it - 98% of Audis around here seem to have non functioning indicators: you never know what the buggers are going to do next.

Same goes for most BMWs and generally all 4 x 4 shittathings.

we dont need to use them as we own the road....
  • keef66
    I use mine, it's just that you can't see them for all the bikes hanging off the back of the car.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Verbal wrote:
    I have an A3, same model, and use a Saris Bones (for 3 bikes) with no troubles whatsoever. Folds up neatly in the boot when I'm not using it.

+1 For the Saris Bones. I've got the three bike model as well and it will comfortably, and securely hold three bikes.

I've used it on a few cars, my current being a Passat estate, it fits with no problems at all. It''ll go on an A3 with no issues.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    keef66 wrote:
    I use mine, it's just that you can't see them for all the bikes hanging off the back of the car.

Dude, you need a garage or a shed. far less hassle to keep your bikes in there than on the back of your car all the time.
  • keef66
    To be fair, most of the time I do leave them at home. 2 bikes in shed and 3 in garage.
  • Hi, posters above, does the Saris Bones obscure the number plate and lights or is it designed not to?

Appreciate your thoughts but back to the original question. Is it easy getting one or two bikes in the back of an A3?

Much thanks.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Hi, posters above, does the Saris Bones obscure the number plate and lights or is it designed not to?

Appreciate your thoughts but back to the original question. Is it easy getting one or two bikes in the back of an A3?

Much thanks.

You can mount the Saris high up, but I've got an additional numberplate which I attach with a bungee. Lights aren't obscured.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved