West Kent RC - Reliability Trial - Sun 8th Jan 12

colinsmith123
colinsmith123 Posts: 579
West Kent Road Club Reliability Trial - Sunday 8th January 2012.

Come and join us in your first event of 2012. You can choose between 30 and 50 miles heading out towards Ide Hill, Tonbridge and Sevenoaks.

Entry is just £5 on the line with proceeds going to the Kent Air Ambulance and the Dave Rayner Fund.

First riders off at 08.00Hrs. Last riders off around 09.30Hrs

Route: Follow link to route card, which will be issued at the start. http://www.wkrc.org.uk/article-west_kent_rc_2012_reliability_trial_route_info.html

More info: http://www.wkrc.org.uk/article-west_kent_rc_2012_reliability_trial_information.html

Head Quarters
Horton Kiby Cricket Club
Franks Lane
Horton Kirby
Nr. Dartford
DA4 9JJ

By car - Five minutes from M25 J3 Swanley junction.
http://maps.google.co.uk/

By train - Five minutes ride from Farningham Road train station. Fifteen minutes from Swanley.
Live to ski
Ski to live

Comments

• Had the pleasure of being involved in this one last year. A signposted, marshalled reliability trial!!!
    Well organised and great refreshments available at the end of what was a challenging circuit.

Will definately be heading down again this year and bringing some club mates.

I checked out the West Kent RC website (http://www.wkrc.org.uk) and the start times have changed. They are opening the doors at 0830 for a 0900 start time for the first group away.

The weather is looking good too, so this could be a very popular early season leg tester.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Anyone have a GPX route for this? I have one from 2009 but apparently the route has changed for this year?
  • A few of my lot asked similar. I have spoken with the event organiser, and he is fully signposting the route. Signs will be checked, and with marshalls on route hopefully GPS won't be needed! Last years event was so well signed that GPS was redundant.
  • Around a 100 cyclists took part in this event today, opting between either the 30 or 50 mile route around the Kent part of the North Downs. A mix of club cyclists and individuals making the most of the fine dry January weather, and helping raise funds for the club's chosen charities. Unusually for a Reliability Trial, club members had been out the day before signposting the route.

The route took riders out through Eynesford, heading up the first climb of the day from Eynesford, past Shoreham on the left pushing on up the 170m climb towards Dunton Green and first check point. Dropping down Star Hill is a good opportunity to test those descending skills through the adverse camber bends before turning left towards Sundrdge and the 2nd climb towards Ide Hill.

At the top, Marshalls were on hand to help riders at the short and long route split, with the short route riders continuing up Wheatsheaf Hill and on towards the rolling hills at the back of Knole Park to the 2nd check point.

Meanwhile the long route cyclists headed down Wheatsheaf Hill and on to Edenbridge giving a much needed respite from climbing up hills. After Four Elms and Edenbridge the route took in some shorter climbs through the stunning ent countryside around Hever, Marks Beech before heading on to Penshust and Leigh, A short climb at Hildenborough is the pre-cursor to one of the toughest climbs in the South East; the 2km Carters Hil rising some 125m at 12% gradient in places. A leg killer that feels great once over the top to the final check point.

The long route re-joined the short route cyclists at the check point and everyone descended down to Seal, where once again Marshalls were on hand to see riders safely across the A25 and on to Kemsing and Otford for the final run-in through Eynesford and Farningham before the welcome finish at Horton Kirby Cricket Club.

West Kent laid on hot and cold refreshments for all, whilst certificates were handed out and riders discussed the ride and their performance amoungst their peers and new friends they'd met on the road in the warmth of the club house.

Some epic rides were recorded including one time I saw of 2hrs 30 mins for the 50 mile ride. With over a 1000m of climbing that's pretty impressive for this time of year. The more sensible amongst us, sticking to the spirit of Reliability Trial riding by posting rides close to their pre-determined time at the start.

Thanks to all the cyclists who took part. Without you this event would not have raised an estimated over £350 for local charities.

Feedback on the event welcome. Long route map available at Garmin Connect.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/140038748
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Great event guys. Route was very good and the refreshments at the end were excellent (lovely cake selection!). Big thanks to guys at the check points and the marshals.

A lot better than a lot of big sportive events in my book.
  • Myself and 5 fellow Bigfoot CC guys rode this today .
    Decent weather for January , a great route and well signed. A nice snug Clubhouse for a cuppa and a roll after, all in all ..a great Sunday morning, well done West Kent CC
    ....the last hill was a bit of a leg burner :D