brake pad bolt allen key thread gone

coyote101
coyote101 Posts: 125
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I badly need to take my brake pads out to replace/clean but the 4mm (?) allen key bolt that holds the pads in has lost its thread and won't screw out. Any quick fixes on getting this bolt out without using an allen key? Thanks.

Comments

• mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    drill it out and re-tap
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    coyote101 wrote:
    I badly need to take my brake pads out to replace/clean but the 4mm (?) allen key bolt that holds the pads in has lost its thread and won't screw out. Any quick fixes on getting this bolt out without using an allen key? Thanks.
    So has it lost the thread or have you rounded the head?

Two different problems and you seem to ave both.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • coyote101
    I have rounded the hole out so the allen key won't grip. Cheers
  • coyote101
    Mar_k, how would I drill it out please? Thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Needle nose pliers?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    What brake caliper have you got - 4mm Allen pad retainer bolt seems a bit big for anything hydraulic?
  • coyote101
    Yeah looking at it its less than 4mm, its formula r1.
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    coyote101 wrote:
    Mar_k, how would I drill it out please? Thanks

Hi, if the head is rounded and you can't jam a flat bladed screwdriver or use mole-grips to unthread it then you would need an easy-out or such like. You can find these on screwfix or halfords/b+q etc. (it may not actually be called an easy-out we just called them these in work- an engineering firm)

What is it? It's a screw like device with a reverse thread.

How do I use it? Drill a hole down the centre of the stuck bolt and then screw the 'screw' part in and when it grips it you can then undo the bolt by rotating the screw with the reverse thread.

I would have thought the offending bolt would come out pretty easily but if you suspect its stuck then some liberal use of wd40 will help. Also a fairly slow drill speed with oil will help. You don't have to drill right through the bolt, just enough for the screw to 'bite'

Hopefully this makes sense!
  • cooldad
    If it's what I think it's going to be very thin, not easy to drill out. That's a last resort.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    If it's this:

64911.jpg

The bolt head is not recessed, so either cut a slot into the head or file two flats on it.

But, try the needle nosed pliers on the length of the shaft first - it will be visible from the top.
  • I'm sorry but are you for real?! That takes a Torx key, not a hex key! lol
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    I'm sorry but are you for real?! That takes a Torx key, not a hex key! lol

Lol, better double check before the black and Decker gets cracked open.
  • coyote101
    I'm sorry but are you for real?! That takes a Torx key, not a hex key! lol

Mine takes a hex key.
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    if it pertrudes like the one in the picture then it is possible to cut a groove in it and turn it using a flat blade screwdriver.
  • coyote101
    bikaholic wrote:
    If it's this:

64911.jpg

The bolt head is not recessed, so either cut a slot into the head or file two flats on it.

But, try the needle nosed pliers on the length of the shaft first - it will be visible from the top.

Thanks for the advice, going to try and get it out this afternoon. Does anyone know where I can buy a pad bolt like the red one in the picture? Or what I would need to type into google......are pad retainer pins universal or would I need to try and find one specific to Formula R1 brakes? Thanks!
  • cooldad
    Don't they normally come with new pads?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • coyote101
    cooldad wrote:

Possibly, I found this one at Chainreaction but a tenner for a tiny bolt - WOW!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=64912
  • Cut across the screw head with a hacksaw and in doing so convert the torx screw to a flat screw and use a flat screwdriver.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    coyote101 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

No they don't. Only the separator with new pads.

That bolt is pretty specific as the thread is next to the head. You may also need the c-clip (£2!) but I lost mine a while back and it's not really needed, neither's the bolt really, but it's best that is there.
  • cooldad
    coyote101 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

No they don't. Only the separator with new pads.

That bolt is pretty specific as the thread is next to the head. You may also need the c-clip (£2!) but I lost mine a while back and it's not really needed, neither's the bolt really, but it's best that is there.

Yeah I was thinking of the std clips and things.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools