Very excited for 2012!

mattward1979
mattward1979 Posts: 692
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Hey all!

I put my bike into storage about 4 months ago, about the time that the wind annoyed enough of the shit out of me to basically give up for the year.

In the mean time I joined a gym and started a cyclical ketogenic diet, lost 1.5 stone, built lots of strength and am now REALLY looking forward to an improvement in the weather to get my steed back out with a view to racing in the summer!!!

What are my first steps to getting into racing?!

I am so excited for this new year =)
exercise.png

Comments

• BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    so some wind put a stop to you riding, and now you want to race, probably be a good idea to just go out and ride again first to see if you can defeat the elements before you try to defeat other riders, who have probably been training in the wind and other elements. If you find that you are ok with riding outdoors now, then look to join a local club this will be your best route into racing, and will give you some experience of group riding
  • What is a cyclical ketogenic diet then?
  • Well, the goal to do some races by the end of the season is to bolster my resolve and help me into the saddle when there is "a bit of wind".
    My enthusiasm for the sport as a whole isn't diminished, however I was finding it all too easy to make excuses not to ride last year as my weight wasn't moving despite 30 mile training routes twice a week.

Will definitely look at joining a club! cheers.

Johnboy, CKD is low carb, high fat, moderate protein at defecit + weights. Not usually useful for cyclists as HIIT cardio or even too much LISS cardio can start to break down muscle tissue as fuel.
    Where I was on a cycling break, it was useful to me as it with heavy weight training it promotes the use of stored body fat as a fuel rather than muscle glycogen.
    exercise.png
  • Matthew. Ta for that. Still slightly lost with HIIT and LISS but that's immaterial. Sounds similar to Primal Blueprint lifestyle/diet which I would like to try
  • Its very effective but for very specific goals.. I needed to lose weight as my body fat was around 23-25%, but overall a decent lean body mass.

For cycling, dropping Carbs is never a good idea as you want to be consuming them before during and after a ride, or you feel like crap and bonk, so its not a diet I could recommend to people on a cycling forum, but if you wanted some more info, PM me and Ill give you the link to the resources I found on it.

Was going to go out for a ride today but the rain started. Bugger. :evil:
    exercise.png
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    2012 will be a year full of achievement if you stop worrying about the wind and rain. Pedalling against a strong headwind will lop the calories off and a cycle in the rain will keep up the momentum once you get into a routine. You'd never be out if you lived here in Scotland!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Well, the goal to do some races by the end of the season is to bolster my resolve and help me into the saddle when there is "a bit of wind".
    My enthusiasm for the sport as a whole isn't diminished, however I was finding it all too easy to make excuses not to ride last year as my weight wasn't moving despite 30 mile training routes twice a week.

Will definitely look at joining a club! cheers.

Johnboy, CKD is low carb, high fat, moderate protein at defecit + weights. Not usually useful for cyclists as HIIT cardio or even too much LISS cardio can start to break down muscle tissue as fuel.
    Where I was on a cycling break, it was useful to me as it with heavy weight training it promotes the use of stored body fat as a fuel rather than muscle glycogen.
    Two 30 mile rides a week is not enough to loose weight and certainly not enough to race with so gues you better go out and ride at kleast 150 miles a week for at least 12 weeks then see if you want to race.
  • I know that I want to race... I used to get my cycling fix from commuting (100+ miles per week not including leisure rides), where the motivation was saving Shed loads of cash (London commuting prices.. grr!), but since changing job that was no longer an option so I was just trying to keep up a routine by doing a few training rides.

By the way, when I say "race" I don't mean trying to compete with Cat X people, but my first introduction into the racing scene, with fellow keen amateurs.

And yes I know, I was a wuss to give up so easily last year, but the wind has been a constant source of ire for me... I started riding nearly 3 years ago and the wind has steadily got worse in my little piece of the world year on year, so I think it was a wise move to take a little break rather than burn out completely, set fire to my shoes and ebay my bike!
    exercise.png
  • BruceG
    reading our friends posts the phrase "Troll" comes to mind, no-one is that naive surely
  • Troll??

Whats so bad about a renewed enthusiasm and wanting to progress? Or maybe my naivety was hoping for a response not dripping in sarcasm....

EDIT:

Just to add, thanks to those that responded with well meaning answers. This forum is usually a great place to share ideas and ask BEGINNER questions without accusations of being a troll. Seems one got through the net today..
    exercise.png
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Perhaps the comment was made because it may have been perceived that you were taking the pi**. I personally would give you the benefit of the doubt, based on your responses all the way through. Don't get angry, get pedalling - and come back with tales of positive results. Stick with it Matt, and don't let ONE poster turn you against the forum.
  • BruceG
    yes better to wrap him in cotton wool and protect from the blatantly obvious!!!!!!!

Most humble apologies Matt, carry on with your delusion and enjoy just mind the weather
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I'm doing my first season of racing this year and I'm currently doing over 200 miles a week and doing some very hard interval sessions 3 times a week (5am starts on the turbo..yum). No offence mate, but if a bit of wind is enough for you to give up cycling what do you think getting chewed up and spat out in a race is going to do to your confidence?

I did 67 miles in the pissing wind and rain today, my hands and feet went numb and I was blown to smithereens! But come rain or shine I get my base miles in at the weekend because IMO that's what it takes to win a race. You'll be up against people who go out in all weathers and train their arses off so you better be ready.

Best of luck to you though honestly and people have given you answers (all be it quite rudely put in some cases) that you'll need to step up your training and never 'come up with excuses' when it comes to getting out.

I wish you all the best for 2012 whatever your goals!
  • Cheers guys!

Definitely need to up my game then. Guess I didn't realise just how competitive the first tier of amateur racing would be. Off for a ride tomorrow =)
    exercise.png
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    You'll benefit massively from joining a club and seeking guidance and advice from the 'local' racers within :wink:

I've just moved from the midlands to the coastal north west, and the wind is always blowing, and always in your face (or so it seems), but I'm determined not to let it beat me :twisted: It's all phsycological, and another element you will have to overcome if you want to race, so get on yer bike and get crunching some miles, whatever the weather throws at you :wink:
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    DavidJB wrote:
    I'm doing my first season of racing this year and I'm currently doing over 200 miles a week and doing some very hard interval sessions 3 times a week (5am starts on the turbo..yum). No offence mate, but if a bit of wind is enough for you to give up cycling what do you think getting chewed up and spat out in a race is going to do to your confidence?

I did 67 miles in the pissing wind and rain today, my hands and feet went numb and I was blown to smithereens! But come rain or shine I get my base miles in at the weekend because IMO that's what it takes to win a race. You'll be up against people who go out in all weathers and train their arses off so you better be ready.

Best of luck to you though honestly and people have given you answers (all be it quite rudely put in some cases) that you'll need to step up your training and never 'come up with excuses' when it comes to getting out.

:D your mad lol I never go out if its pissing down, I have been caught out a few times when out, but if weather that bad not really sure its worth bothering as you get cold and wet and dont really get a good workout :D I just wait for a dry day.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    DavidJB wrote:

:D your mad lol I never go out if its pissing down, I have been caught out a few times when out, but if weather that bad not really sure its worth bothering as you get cold and wet and dont really get a good workout :D I just wait for a dry day.

May have painted a somewhat rosie picture of my resolve...If it's hammering it down (ie like it is today) then I'll be looking at it inside from the turbo ;)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    OP didnt mention he wanted to win a race did he, just taking part... and we all have to start somewhere.

I actually intend to up my game this coming season, however the closest I am getting to tarmac is the frame of my allez on a turbo.