Getting into racing at 14.

Laser man
Laser man Posts: 54
edited January 2012 in Amateur race
Hey, Guys/Girls. I've been riding frequently since September and on a road bike since November and now I'm looking at doing some races in the coming season, but I'm finding the system confusing. I understand I'm a youth rider at 14 but I don't know what that means in practical terms, what does it stop me from doing or allow me to do?

I'm going to try and join a local club as well so that I gain some experience in group riding and hopefully improve my bike-fitness.

Overall, I'm just wanting someone to inform on every single thing I need to do to race later in the year, thanks :)

Comments

• BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    join british cycling, here you can also get your race licence, search out up coming events in your catagory and also get a copy of the rules, which will explain about restricted gearing for youth riders. Research you local clubs some have really excellent youth divisions this will help you immensely. And good luck and enjoy it, remember train, train, train
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'd find a club with some other youth riders - some clubs wont have any whereas others will have a reasonably active youth and junior setup - whereabouts in the country are you someone may be able to suggest something.

Your location will also make a difference to what racing opportunities there are - some areas have a very good cyclocross scene for younger riders (does need a cross bike though) whereas others will have good access to closed circuit youth road racing - some of course will have both.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Thanks you two. I live in-between Tiverton and Wellington in Somerset, if that's any help. I know that both of these places have clubs but I don't know what they're like.
  • My nephew is 13 and I'm supporting him into cycling so your narrative rings a bell with me.

As others have said, join BC and then find a local club that can inspire and support you. The first part is easy but finding a club that suits may be a case of trial and error - nothing worse than adults riding you off their wheel to demotivate you. A good club wound't do that.

When looking for a club, look for one than respects and supports you whatever your age, ability or discipline. You're at n impressionable age where disreputable adult behaviour could easily dissuade you away from cycling.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Don't know if Chard Wheelers are too far away but looking at the BC site they are the only GoRide club in the area - that might not matter so much at 14 as you are pretty much the age where you could start training with adults but they might (I don't know) be the most likely to have a younger racing contingent.

Best thing is try all the local clubs out - there should be no pressure to join one straight away - and remember a negative experience might just be down to one individual so don't write a whole club off just because say one member isn't welcoming.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Chard is a good half hour away by car and there's not much to do there for whoever drives me, so I can't really go there.
    Does one have to buy a membership to clubs to ride with them or could one go on a sample ride first? Is that an acceptable thing to do?
  • amclinden
    amclinden Posts: 101
    Welcome to the club.... I'm 14 in the west midlands and I do West Midlands cyclo cross in winter, Halesowen track, time trials with the club (Redditch), I'm gonna start circuit racing at Stourport when the season start aswell. I also go to Newport or Manchester Velodrome at least once a month :D

Get a racing licence and find a club
    For this season you will be in Youth U16s

Hope this helps
    Swveeeet¡¡¡
  • amclinden
    amclinden Posts: 101
    Oh and any decent club will let you see if you like it before committing to membership, racing licences you only need for some events.... And what bikes have you got ;)
    Swveeeet¡¡¡
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    The BC website allows club searches by postcode and area etc, use that to find how many are close to you, a GoRide Club would be best but even if some clubs are not GoRide they may still have a youth section or properly trained adults/coaches to look after young persons.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • I'm on a Trek 2.3 2011 at the moment, but I'm riding it on the turbo as my left arm is in a cast.

I'm going to try out Wellington wheelers when my cast comes off and then Exe velo cycling club, because they're both pretty close (5-10miles) and look okay.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576
    I was going to suggest Wellington Wheelers, I've not come across Exe Velo but Wellington have a reasonable racing contingent. At youth level you will be racing on closed circuits, I think there are quite regular races at Yeovilton airfield or at least used to be.
  • Get in touch with this guy willnewton@britishcycling.org.uk and ask about your local go-ride club.

They will been able to help you with everything and take all the hard work out of finding stuff out like where the races are, how to register, bike regs, licences etc etc.. or at least they should..

Good luck and hope you enjoy it!
    Il Sasso Cycling - Sempre in Bici
    Penna San Giovanni (Mc), Italia

Cycling training, touring and Gran Fondo camps in Italy

http://www.ilsassocycling.com
    http://www.casaliozzi.com

Follow @ilsassocycling on twitter and facebook for regular updates