Its the Olympics now..

nevman
nevman Posts: 1,611
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
i`m going down to watch the mens road race-anyone else watching any events this year? :wink:
Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
Winter Alan Top Cross
All rounder Spec. Allez.

Comments

• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    No.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Hockey - final and semi.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If you don't watch TV you wouldn't know it was on up here and we're not that far up.

I am looking forward to the "legacy" though, or the debt if you want to call it that!
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I'm off to grab my place on Box Hill, see you there ;)
  • I know time seems to go faster with the passing years but this is rediculous. :shock:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Love sport - detest the Olympics.
  • When is it?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Put in for tickets for cycling, weight lifting, rowing and shooting - and got none! Consequently it will be a TV Olympic experience for me this year. My foxy sister-in-law lives down in London but I suspect that she is going to be going to some events herself so won't be able to crash there. Still, as long as 15Peter20 doesn't succeed in his crusade to get tight lycra clothing on female athletes banned it will still be worth tuning in ;)

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • I'm going to the Team GB football group match at Old Trafford and trying to arrange a spare room at a friends in Richmond for the road race and/or TT. Didn't get velodrome tickets unfortunately.
  • Do you need tickets for the RR. I presume most of the route can't be controlled for spectators.
  • Olympics? Bah, I'm gonna go watch some proper bike racing. Paris Roubaix for me!

:D
  • Olympics? Bah, I'm gonna go watch some proper bike racing. Paris Roubaix for me!

Doesn't the Paris Roubaix take place in March/April (not sure) :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Doesn't the Paris Roubaix take place in March/April (not sure) :D

Yes, well spotted, but the OP did ask...
    nevman wrote:
    anyone else watching any events this year?

:wink:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The only 'ticketed' sections for the road races will be the Mall (start/finish) and Box Hill - everywhere else will be open to the public on a first-come basis. The whole course will be barried-off through all the town centres / junctions. I'm an Olympic volunteer and yet to find where I'll be posted - but at least will get to see the RRs and TTs.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I'm an Olympic volunteer and yet to find where I'll be posted - but at least will get to see the RRs and TTs.
    That's what you think.

You'll probably be handing out the towels after the synchronised swimming.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited January 2012
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I'm an Olympic volunteer and yet to find where I'll be posted - but at least will get to see the RRs and TTs.
    That's what you think.

You'll probably be handing out the towels after the synchronised swimming.

And the problem with that is?

underwater-synchronize-swimming-2-600x400.jpg

underwater-synchronize-swimming-3-600x400.jpg

underwater-synchronize-swimming-4-600x491.jpg
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Smokin Joe wrote:

+1 My Sentiments Exactly.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    I'm tempted to arrange a BR pub meet up for the road race.

Find a pub in Fulham or Putney or something by the side of the road, cheer them on, have beers, demand chips and mayo. Or something.

Anyone interested?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I'm tempted to arrange a BR pub meet up for the road race.

Find a pub in Fulham or Putney or something by the side of the road, cheer them on, have beers, demand chips and mayo. Or something.

Anyone interested?

Er, possibly? Best float this idea closer to the event.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Smokin Joe wrote:

This view seems a little odd to me, the Olympics could be argued to be closer to 'pure' sport than many of the other more mainstream sports.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Smokin Joe wrote:

This view seems a little odd to me, the Olympics could be argued to be closer to 'pure' sport than many of the other more mainstream sports.

Yeah - I don't get this either. If it wasn't for the Olympics, I'd never watch some sports. But the Olympics give you the chance to see so many different sports (and usually great sporting performances) in the space of 2 weeks.

And (sometimes) in many ways, the athletes there represent the very best in their fields. Due to the qualification processes of some sports, some great athletes are left out and some mediocre ones let in, but in general, the best of the best go there to compete.

So why would anyone detest the Olympics?
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    I love the Olympics but think it is a bit of a carnival. I've always thought the Worlds was where it was at. Cap doffed to present company.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    I've got tickets for the cross country stage of the 3 Day Event in Greenwich Park which just happens to be the day after the weekend road races so will travel up with the family, send her out shopping with the kids and my sister (who's floor we will be sleeping on) while I watch both road races and then the 4 of us will go to watch the ladies in jodhpurs. I'm certainly happy to meet up with Mr Chasey for him to buy me a drink too :)
  • nevman
    Sorry guys,looks like you could be watching the Road Race after all....

London 2012: Olympic synchronised swimming tickets oversold

Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Not got any tickets but don't mind really. I am though still waiting to see where i will be posted for volunteering & also waiting to see if i got a confirmed place performing in the opening ceremony.

Can't wait for the Olympics, i love it! One of my memories as a child is sitting in front of an old black n white telly watching it all & being in awe of it. I booked 2 weeks annual leave for Beijing & absolutely loved it.

I don't personally get all the negativity with the Olympics. 2 whole weeks of different sports & seeing the best sportsmen on the planet perform when it matters. The whole worlds eyes will be on the UK, whats not to like??
  • nevman
    So,it turns out that I have to return my synchronised swimming tickets (2nd round,Romania v Kazakstan) and have been offered prime seats for the mens 100 metres final.

Willing to swop back.

Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    It won't be long before they have 'running for the bus' in the olympics, or even 'pulling funny faces in the swimming pool' in the olympics (oh, I see they already have that :roll: ).
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    I will be on Box Hill for the biking.

Plus, I kid you not, out of my £800 bid for tickets, I only managed to secure 2 tickets... And they're for the ladies fail beach volleyball! Not even joking! :D