Best bike for a 13 year old boy?

andrewmcmurtrie
andrewmcmurtrie Posts: 2
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
My 13 year old sone has been keen to get a road bike for over a year but as yet we have resisted for two reasons; he's still growing and living in rural Aberdeenshire the road aren't overly safe from cars, which is my wife's biggest concern. Anyway, he's saved enough now and keeps asking so I wonder what is best? A road bike or something along the lines of a cyclo-cross with widere tyres, etc? Any thoughts? He tried a Specilized Tricross 24 today in a shop, size M (54cm) seemed to fit okay. He could get on the L but the stretch to the bars was too much for him. Thanks!

Comments

• Have a look at:
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-id_8167039.html
    When my son was 13 we went for a "Frame Only" a BASSO it would have been a 19.5in frame c to top
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Whatever you buy make sure it will be easy to sell on again,growth spurts and all that :roll:
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    oxoman wrote:
    Most of the kids that do serious riding around me swear by Islabike's. the best one i would have thought for your son would be The large Luath 700, similar money to the tricross but designed specifically for kids. Try web address below
    http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/luath700lrg.html

I have no direct experience of these but a friend of mine, whose kids use them for triathlons, tells me their re sale values are very good.
  • ehrb
    ehrb Posts: 20
    Agree with cyclesport decathlon have good entry level bikes I myself have the triban 3 from them and they are very helpful in setting up and know completely what they are doing. I didn't go for the 5 because the extra £200 wasn't really justified. Also, I'm still growing and am *cough* 13 :D
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I'd say it depends what he wants to do. Aberdeenshire can be pretty good for cycling in my view - lots of quiet back roads. Try to sort out some vague goals at least - is it for transport, for fun, or to compete? All on-road or mixed? If you are anywhere near Ellon Ythan cycling club has a youth section and would probably offer some advice.

Speaking as someone who many years ago wanted a 'racer,' but never got one, I'd say go for a road bike, but these are my own prejudices speaking!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    I'd say you would be best to go second hand. Your boy will out grow the bike so when you come to sell it on you hopefully won't have lost much money on it.

Also you will get more for your money second hand.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    All the kids at our club are on Isla bikes

If you buy new or 2nd hand you won't loose much when you come to sell.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    A 13yr old girl ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved