Neil Donaghue Coaching

slimboyjim
slimboyjim Posts: 367
edited January 2012 in MTB general
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had used Neil Donaghue Coaching at Coed Llandegla? He/they do a jumps and drops course I'd be interested in but at £105 it's a bit more than most, particularly as I'd have to travel from Birmingham, even if it does include lunch... Anyone know anything about the quality of coaching (clearly his prowess as a rider is not in question!)?

http://www.neildonoghuecoaching.co.uk/
http://www.oneplanetadventure.com/mount ... -donoghue/

For information I have the basics of jumps and drops dialled - I can do most stuff safely and without incident. I struggle to get height of jumps with shorter, sharper take-offs and feel I'm squashing them a bit... I'll check whether the course accurately covers this by making some enquiries once I know whether he's any good (for £20 more I could do a half day of private tuition which may be more apt...).

Thanks in advance!

James

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Neil is an awesome rider, and has a really nice fluid style. If a session with him makes you half as good a rider as he is, it will be well worth it.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Isn't he always part of the 'better trail riding' features in MBUK?

Or am I thinking of someone else?
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    benpinnick wrote:
    Neil is an awesome rider, and has a really nice fluid style. If a session with him makes you half as good a rider as he is, it will be well worth it.

If a session does that, where do I sign???? Have you seen him manualling, let alone the rest..
    Isn't he always part of the 'better trail riding' features in MBUK?

Are you thinking of that doddy guy?

edit to say;
    http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG326 Seems he used ride for mbuk.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    My wife got me the jumps and drops course for Christmas. I'm booked in for February and I'm really looking forward to it. My wife is ace.
  • That magazine that sounds like 'tingletrack' reviewed it in this months issue, said it wouldnt turn you into steve peat or sam pilgrim, but would banish all your bad habits and build confidence, I'm gonna do it march April time so will report then!
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Isn't he always part of the 'better trail riding' features in MBUK?

Chris Ball?

Edit:No that's MBR
  • Beatmaker
    That magazine that sounds like 'tingletrack' reviewed it in this months issue, said it wouldnt turn you into steve peat or sam pilgrim, but would banish all your bad habits and build confidence, I'm gonna do it march April time so will report then!

I thought that review came across as a little cynical TBH, almost as if the reviewer didn't want to admit he could be improved as a rider. I've heard really good things about the course and I'm not afraid to admit hope it improves me as a rider when my wheels are off he ground, and I've been riding for 20 odd years.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    coaching /skills days is well worth the money it will improve your riding better than any part/componant upgrade,..
    i have done drop clinic and jump clinic with a qualified coach, and it made a massive difference, not only to my skill level but in confidence to...
    the don is a amazing rider but anyone who has raced at world cup level is going to be...

you say you will have to travel from birmingham, why not look at coaching available @ cannock chase i'm sure there is someone there who offers coaching..

or seek out jedi. on this forum, tony is an amzing rider..
    seek him here.
    http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk/
  • I have done a skills course with Cycleactive at Cannock which covered the basic techniques for jumps and drops - the reasons for going elsewhere were as I was looking to improve on bigger jumps and drops - the areas in which skills courses are run at Cannock tend towards the smaller stuff on Stile Cop and I've not found any mid sized tables to safely practice there... The freeride line (I'm assuming having not been) on his demo video looks like a perfect practice run - lots of mid sized tables and drops to get a good session in on. I think that maybe my problem is a bit specific but would make contact first to confirm exact course content - as stated maybe a half day private would be more apt...

As before, how is he as a coach? Did he break techniques down well, etc. Being a good rider doesn't mean he can translate it well and, whilst I'm sure he's very good, as stated it's a lot of money to spend if I don't come away with what I want... +1 on coaching being the best use of your money though!

Thanks for input so far!
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    delcol wrote:

seek him here.

thanks for the recommend
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Jedi wrote:
    delcol wrote:

seek him here.

thanks for the recommend

A second for Jedi :)
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    Third reccomendation for Jedi. Gave me absolutely bags of confidence and worth every penny IMO.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    kind words guys, thanks :)
  • PED575
    PED575 Posts: 6
    hi slimboyjim, thanks for ur post on my body armour question,
    All i can say about the jumps and drops course with Neil at LLandegla is I recon its worth the travel and if you can get a mate to join you and get a two on one with him as that works really well, whats ur riding history? with me both myself and my brother inlaw have been riding for about six years or so doing reds and blacks Neil was able to point out some real bad habits we had both developed and with some body positioning tips he soon improved our speed and technique, he is a cool guy to chat with and very helpfull whatever level you are at,the course really helped me advance and Llandegla is a great centre to spend the day at, the only other thing i would advise is try to book him for a week day as it gets very very busy there at a weekend, the course hasnt made me ride like the pro's but has given me some great foundation to build on, hope this helps if you need any more advice just ask : )
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Hi, my mate went on a course with him and rated him (even though he fell and broke his arm 2 weeks later!) I will ask him about his coaching style/technique and report back.

Neil D's reputation is very good though and reputation takes a lifetime to build...

I think my only reservation would be that llandegla seems to get exceptionaly busy compared to other centres at weekends and I'm not sure what the arrangements are in booking/closing areas of the centre for courses. Maybe someone else knows about this?
  • PED575
    PED575 Posts: 6
    gezebo wrote:
    Hi, my mate went on a course with him and rated him (even though he fell and broke his arm 2 weeks later!) I will ask him about his coaching style/technique and report back.

Neil D's reputation is very good though and reputation takes a lifetime to build...

I think my only reservation would be that llandegla seems to get exceptionaly busy compared to other centres at weekends and I'm not sure what the arrangements are in booking/closing areas of the centre for courses. Maybe someone else knows about this?

yep second that, as i said Llandegla is a great place to spend the day but by hec it gets crazy at the weekends when I went on the course I chose a mid week day or might have been tailend of the week, anyway this was wise as we had no problems with too many people in our way and we where able to chill at the skills area and take our time to practice tips etc
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    For the core skills day at the weekend they take you to a part of the forest that is away from the bike trails.
    In the afternoon they closed the skills area so you have it to yourselves for teaching and video that they post on to you , that’s what they done in Sep last year.
  • Beatmaker
    Regarding Neil's course, I'm deliberating between taking my hardtail, which is set up for as a trail hardtail with 120mm travel or my 145mm full susser. Were most pupils on full suss?
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    hone those skills on the hardtail it will make you a better rider when you transfare them over to the full susser..
  • Beatmaker
    yeah, thats what I'm erring towards doing.
  • dhutch
    dhutch Posts: 343
    Just found this this thread from a link supplied on a thread I started myself here : viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12833032&p=17414837#p17414837

Sounds like the Donaghue course at Lladegela is a good one, and proberbly right down the line of what the more confident of our group need if somewhat beyond the less confident riders. I will look into the 'coreskills' coarses for them.

Daniel