Seatpost slipping into frame...

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Apologies of there are plenty of threads already on this. Went for a short ride today on my Alu 2008 Stumpy FSR (mainly as I've been tempted by a shorter stem in the Xmas sales, and wanted to see if i actually "needed" one first!). Anyhows, on the return trip I began to notice that my Thomson Elite seatpost had slipped a bit into the frame. The QR collar is done up tight (to the point that paint has actually come off the top of the seat tube), and I don't want to overtighten and and mangle the frame. I did re-position and the same thing happened after a few more miles.

Would carbon assembly paste help - I know neither component is carbon but I wondered if the little granules might give a bit of extra purchase? The seatpost already has a nice milled finish which I had assumed would also provide some decent purchase when in the frame, but not enough it seems....

Any suggestions? Thanks
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• Yep some paste would help.

You can't really hurt your frame as the post is unliekly to squash.

A smear of grease on the QR cam can help get extra tightness into it.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Have you greased the post at all? I usually grease mine a little, to stop it seizing etc. You can use too much though and what you describe will happen. It does help to have a decent clamp too.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tighten the clamp.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I got some carbon paste for my carbon HT but also tried it on my alloy fs and found the seatpost stayed in place with less clamping force.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Carbon paste will work equally as well with alloy (and I guess steel). Instructions on something I bought that I forget now, recommends the stuff when clamping to bars regardless of any of it being carbon.

That said, you'll find you can do up the clamp a lot more than you think.
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    Damaging the paint under the seat clamp is quite common, i wouldn't worry about it damaging your frame, as all ready said a bit of graese on the threads and camm of the seat clamp and tighten it up more. If you can't push the leaver by hand when it is this tight do it as much as you can then nip it up with an allen key when the clamp is closed.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Right. I'm off to the garage to tighten the clamp and apply some carbon assembly paste - might even justify a blinging new QR collar as well! Thanks all...and Happy New Year! :)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Go for a collar with a good pivot seat on it. Brass ones are good, e.g. Hope. They don't seize up so much and need less force on the lever to get a good clamping force.
  • barty81
    barty81 Posts: 145
    Too many mince pies over xmas :wink:
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    barty81 wrote:
    Too many mince pies over xmas :wink:
    :lol:
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    my heckler used to do this with it's thomson elite seatpost.
    i changed my seatclamp for a chromag one and no more slipping.
    same on the pace hardtail no matter how tight the clamp the post would slide. replace with chromag clamp and no more slipping...

another sneeky trick i seen is make a shim out of and drinks can to wrap around your seat post..
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    delcol wrote:

another sneeky trick i seen is make a shim out of and drinks can to wrap around your seat post..

Only if you have the wrong sized seat post - won't fit if it's the right size.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    my heckler was the right size seatpost according to santacruz's website.. but would slide, a coke can cut fitted no problem...
    but a new blingbling chromag seat lamp looked better. :P