2012 Midland Monster(s)

I'm thinking of entering this year, but there appears to be two (unless I'm mitaken?):

http://www.wheelsinwheels.com/midlandmo ... event.html

http://www.midlandmonster.com/

Anybody ridden both/either of these last year? Which to go for?!

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Well spotted. I'm minded towards the original CCGiro event (not for profit btw) which heads out from Rosliston in May. I've not heard of the other one 'till now.

I might be reading too much into this, but it does seem a bit of a coincidence that Wheelsinwheels use the same colour scheme for the earlier event as well. CCGiro (and the Air Ambulance Trust) must be well chuffed!
  • I think I may go for that one as well!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I must admit I am tempted by the latter one - except for Old Hill. I ran out of gears the last time I tried that (I am genuinely ashamed to say)

My Mum lives only a few miles from the start (in Stapenhill) and I know all the roads involved (lived locally almost all my life) so it would be great to try it out.

Ooh, hang on - I'm entering the Hope Against Cancer 112 mile jobbie which I think is the week after.....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • egonh
    egonh Posts: 1
    I'll be doing the CC Giro event. CC Giro seem to run the event on a not for profit basis and the money goes to a very worthwhile cause.
  • Two Midland Monster events! What on earth is going on?

If I recall correctly, it was once a single event hosted jointly by Wheels in Wheels and CC Giro. One can only speculate on what has happened but I would be inclined to go with CC Giro, as others suggest.
  • Two Midland Monster events! What on earth is going on?

If I recall correctly, it was once a single event hosted jointly by Wheels in Wheels and CC Giro. One can only speculate on what has happened but I note the barbed comment given on the CC Giro site,
    This is the original Midland Monster Sportive. CC Giro have been promoting the sportive to 4 years now, on a not for profit basis. Using the original route designed be John Perks."

I would be inclined to go with CC Giro, as others suggest. Firstly, it is not for profit; secondly, it is run by a local club by people with a passion for the sport; thirdly, it is cheaper; and, fourthly, I have been less than impressed with Wheels in Wheels' other events (empty feed stops, etc).
  • Kieran_Burns
    Okay - the CC Giro one happens to use a huge chunk of my favourite 100K circuit so I know the roads very well and can testify it'll be an enjoyable ride (with the possible exception of Old Hill...)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Have they released a confirmed route already?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Not seen any, but the description of the route makes it clear where they'll be going if you know the area.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X