Raising my handlebars

Fizzeetoast
Fizzeetoast Posts: 29
edited January 2012 in MTB beginners
I recently purchased a Carrera Fury which I took out for my first long ride yesterday, I already knew it was the case that my handlebars were too low in comparison to my seat (which is quite high because I'm almost 6ft 2) but yesterday on a longer ride I realised the bad posture was hurting my back slightly. I don't know what I need to do to raise my bars but I think the thing I'm after is called a stem raiser, however I wasn't sure it some were bette than others, where to look for one or if they had different fittings that would fit different bikes? Thanks for any advice or help!

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Avoid stem raisers, not very good for off road usage

Get a higher rise stem and/or higher rise bars, a much safer option than a stem raiser
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • If you're at the top of the steerer then you can't go any higher with your current set-up.

A stem with a greater angle/length and bars that have a higher rise are your only real options.
  • What size Fury did you buy?

I'm 6ft 2 and ride comfortably on the 20".. Admittedly the bars are a bit on the narrow side though!
  • I ride the 20" too but I just find sometimes it can hurt my back to be bent over just the tiniest bit too much. So a stem raiser is likely to break or something with offroad usage then?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably just as things are getting exciting.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Not necessarily break, but the point about ahead systems is that they are very strong as you're using the steerer tube.
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... FMQ8gIwAA#
    You need one of these or a fixed angle stem.
    I am the same height and have always had to use a high angle stem.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Again I wouldn't, but if you do, not the one linked to. You would need one for oversize bars.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    3" riser bar may do the trick, I have them on my Meta.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Can you be more specific as to were the pain is?
  • gezebo
    Oh, and do you get it more when climbing?
  • The pain is along my lower back just a bit above my waist I'd say and actually both long rides I've been on it happened after a climb yeah.
  • gezebo
    In that case before you rush off and buy a new stem I would try adjusting your saddle angle. If you dip the nose of the saddle by even a small amount this will rock your pelvis forward a touch and also mean that less tension is needed to stop you sliding of the back of the saddle. This may well relieve the tension you are experiencing in your lower back saving you pain and money!
    Saddle adjustment is often overlooked when setting a bike up. For us tall guys even a small amount of adjustment here will be magnified at the ends of our legs and arms...
    Good luck..
  • I would also try adjusting the seat position on the rails, moving the saddle forwards. I used to get some lower back ache until I got that right. Only moved it forwards about 10mm and it made all the difference.
  • I already had it as far forward as possible but I tried putting a bit of a forward tilt on it and it seems to be working fine at the moment so thanks for the help :)
  • gezebo
    Glad you found it useful. Happy riding!