Horse Day

allen.coulson
allen.coulson Posts: 424
edited January 2012 in MTB general
Was heading for a nice track through one of the local farms and two XC motorbikers all but pushed me out of the way. Usual dark thoughts. Bit further on I saw two horses and slowed down and one of the horses freaked out so I stopped and backed into the hedge. Upperclass lady glared at me and said '..we don't often see cyclists...' I apologised - beause that is wht you are supposed to do to upper class ladies even if you have done nothing wrong (well other than trespass on her farm) and commented about the motorbikes that preceeded me. So the upper class said, of the selfish ignorant tw@ bikers that had all but pushed me out of the way, '...well at least they stopped..'

I made a new year resolution to stop for horses.

Which was tested 10 miles down the track when I was, if you will pardon the expression, approaching a horse from behind! The rse of the lady rider was about the same size as the horse and she was clearly not upper class. I said good morning and asked her if it was ok to pass the horse. She gave me a filthy glare and said '..of course, don't you think I can control my beast?' So I advised her that she could control my beast if she wished.

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    :lol: cool story
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I hate horsey people, our uni is full of them, hell my ex was one... hence she's now my ex, can't stand overly horsey people who put it in your face. Which is why I'm disinclined to be a horse vet, the only bit I'd enjoy would be telling them to STFU and listen to my advice, that and charging them ridiculous money :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The rse of the lady rider was about the same size as the horse and she was clearly not upper class. I advised her that she could control my beast if she wished.

You have a thing about low class women with fat ar5es? I think you'll enjoy Rhyl.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Folk from Rhyl can't afford horses.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    I didn't say he was a horse loving pervert.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I am!
  • I hate horse riders the stuck up ones that ride where I ride my bike purposely stay in the way until they decide they want to let me pass which really Pisssssses me off, generally always a fat minger in riding trousers which look disgusting and I hate fat women anyway, I have always been courtious to them but not any more Iv'e had enough of them and from now on I'm going to use a air horn when I pass LOL
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • You get arseholes in every single hobby, every single class. Best not to single groups out if you ask me. That said though, you don't get many people who are so "self entitled" and full of themselves here in Austria, especially if you are out and about in the wilderness. Austrians just love the mountains and forests and stuff, so noone cares what you do for a hobby there, their just happy to see you out.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I stopped for a group of horcyclists a while back... The one at the front had a go at me for stopping- apparently it spooks the horses worse than riding past carefully. So I started riding again, then the one at the back had a go at me for not stopping.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    The French have the right idea. Eat them.
    The horses I mean.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • As a former Land Rover [of the Defender variety] owner, we always slowed right down and often stopped for horsie people. They always appreciated it (probably because most horse owners own a Land Rover or similar 4x4 to pull the cat food, oops horses around in)
    Never seen a horse get nervous around the club convoys, but I have seen them get very nervous around a mountain bike on numerous occasions, strangely enough.
    Now I stop when I approach horses when cycling, they're just too, big, heavy and unpredictable for my liking, the horses that is...
  • JamieW
    JamieW Posts: 114
    Unfortunately you get good and bad in all sports as said above...

I ride both horses and bikes - and you get the stuck up (and keyboard warriors) in both. Sadly people forget that every horse is different, some will fly off the handle at the slightest thing - some dont give a monkeys about anything. The mrs's horse is well used to bikes - often i ride out with them. He will try and keep up with other bikes as well...

This sort of covers Stu Coops point that they block his way until they are ready... do you really want 600-900 kg of horse jumping on you?!? I'm sure he's sooo fast that no one ever buzz's his back wheel and he clears out of the way immediately even if its not safe. ..

This is where the horse problem is, each rider knows their horse and knows what it likes or doesn't, and their perception on what you should do is different! Hence mixed messages.

Well lets all get out and enjoy the countryside / trail centre - take the egits with a pinch of salt and just enjoy the ride
  • I'm a mountain biking horse rider( not figured out how to to them together yet) all I can say is, if you get too close behind my horse, the wost that'll happen is he'll fart in your general direction :lol:, I spent time getting my horse used to things in the world, granted he'll still have a good look at you if you wazz past him with nobblie tyres singing the chorus of speed :lol:
    But there are knob heads in every hobby, just the horse has the upper edge with their big feet and big arses.
    Caz xx
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Most horse people round here are fine, and quite a few of them are fiiiiine :wink:

I just slow down, say 'morning' or whatever to them, so they and the horse know I'm approaching, and then go past slowly.

It would just be nice if I got the same respect off drivers when I'm on the bike as I would do if I was on a horse!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Most Horse riders in our area are OK with Cyclists and offer the same courtesy to us as we do to them, its a different story though when Horse riders see cars, they stay 2 wide and don't move over, they're reasoning is that cars don't slow down enough or leave enough room so they refuse to move over to stop their horses getting spooked.

SWMBO rides a horse and we often go out for rides together (approaching 8years now) which gets alot of negative comments from the Horse riders but we've found SWMBO's horse is more settled when the bike is around but much more eager to race off when we get off-road
  • I find all the horse riders around here very friendly. I just always do whatever seems sensible to do at the time.

I find its the roadies that I pass on the country lanes between bridal ways that are the ones who look down their nose and very rarely return the "afternoon" that I greet them with.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    JamieW wrote:
    Unfortunately you get good and bad in all sports as said above...

I ride both horses and bikes - and you get the stuck up (and keyboard warriors) in both. Sadly people forget that every horse is different, some will fly off the handle at the slightest thing - some dont give a monkeys about anything. The mrs's horse is well used to bikes - often i ride out with them. He will try and keep up with other bikes as well...

This sort of covers Stu Coops point that they block his way until they are ready... do you really want 600-900 kg of horse jumping on you?!? I'm sure he's sooo fast that no one ever buzz's his back wheel and he clears out of the way immediately even if its not safe. ..

This is where the horse problem is, each rider knows their horse and knows what it likes or doesn't, and their perception on what you should do is different! Hence mixed messages.

Well lets all get out and enjoy the countryside / trail centre - take the egits with a pinch of salt and just enjoy the ride[
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My bike is not a horse, so I don't ride bridleways much if I can even if that's what we're assumed to do thinking that bikes are like horses.

Instead I hassle walkers on public footpaths where I have no right of way and on trails where those who stroll off footpaths where they have no right of way and deserve to be run over whilst I avoid the land owner ;). http://cheekytrails.co.uk