Smelly Riding Kit . . .

LAUNCH69
LAUNCH69 Posts: 119
edited January 2012 in MTB general
Hi there,
My Wife is complaining about my riding/running kit smelling alot (personally I can't smell a thing :wink: ). Buying all new kit is not an option.
It get washed regularly in soap flakes/liquid soap on a 40 deg wash but apparently it still smells.
I don't want to wash it in anything that will degrade its ability to wick.
If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Si
Specialized Rockhopper

Bike is still better than the rider . . .

Comments

• febreze works quite well, I use it at home, and keeps the smells at bay. After a wash one spray of it and your set.
  • febreeze..........seriously though, if it gets washed regularly it might want a couple of washing cycles to get rid of the odours....either that or you BO smells like the breath of 1000 greyhounds!
  • Ever thought about geting a new wife?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    A soak in a solution of sodium bicarbonate will shift most pongs. The smell is bacteria that get into the material and cant be shifted completely by a washing machine. Sodium Bicarb is a good bacteriacide but dont use it on watreproof gear it will strip the membrane off. 20 uses for baking soda
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • LAUNCH69
    Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try some of the Sports Wash, followed by febreeze if that fails. Last Resort may be an internet bride . . .
    Specialized Rockhopper

• broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Halo Sports Wash with free delivery from Wiggle, ordered some yesterday - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/halo-proactive- ... t-1-litre/
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    In the future buy Merino or bamboo fibre baselayers. Unlike man made fibres these are antibacterial by their very nature and won't stink after washing.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    Biological washing powder is also normally best - but don't use it on natural fabrics (merino wool) as it eats them.

It can also cause skin irritation if you have sensitive skin so best to wash your sports kit separate from the missus kit or she might complain.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just wash the stuff yourself and keep it out of her sight.

What's the stuff made of anyway? Avoid cotton. I use polyester tops (ski and bike tops) and the shorts are nylon. They just smell of washing detergent after washed (I use the liquid capsule stuff, non bio typically). Some stuff says not to use fabric conditioner on them.

Only thing that stinks are the knee pads and shoes. Neither can be washed with detergent without them getting screwed up and/or becoming an irritant when riding. I just don't go around sniffing them, and they're going to be muddy and smelly on rides anyway.
  • LAUNCH69
    Update - I have used the Sports Wash, and the results have been confirmed as successful by the Wife. So thanks for the recommendations.
    All the Kit I use is tech stuff, no killer cotton here. A couple of my tops are from Berghaus and are meant to have Silver Ions woven in - reduces smells apparently . . .
    Just ordered a couple of Rab Meco tops so I will see if they help any.
    Specialized Rockhopper