Saris Bones or Thule 9104

wilbo83
wilbo83 Posts: 90
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a rear mount carrier for 2 bikes on a hatchback Fiesta, any opinions on the 2 listed above and which would you choose?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Neither. Do not like rear clip ones.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Neither. Do not like rear clip ones.
    Dont have a huge budget though and roof mounted cost a lot more once you factor in bars etc. Both of these are c.£100 which seems like great value for what I want them for. Was looking for anyone with experience of these or similar rear mounted racks.
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Hi. Can't comment on the specific model but we have some thule clip on bike rack that fitted my old seat, a pug 307 and now a Nissan. I'd say it was good enough and stayed on ok fully loaded at 100mph+ on motorway!

I'd be a little wary of it scratching the paint but I put some insulation tape on the car and it was fine. May want to consider a lightboard too. I didn't but had no stops from the police but it did/does cover lights and number plate if you leave the wheels on (like I do)
  • I bought a Saris Bones 3 this year and found it a really solid fitting piece of kit. The only issue you might have is if you have to load women specific or weird shaped full sussers on it-you'll need to buy crossbar adapters that will add to your total outlay.

I'm lucky enough to have changed my car recently and have all the Thule roof kit fitted and ready to go so my Bones is now surplus to requirements. If you're interested, drop me a PM and maybe we can do a deal.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have got a Saris Bones 3. It's great, feels solid when fitted & the bikes feel nice & secure. My large Giant Reign X fits fine & hardtails are no problem. For particularly small hardtails or frames where the shock or linkage are close to the underside of the top tube you will need the cross bar.
    Have a look at this installation video, should give you a good idea if you will have any problems
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE7KamKITGg

This is the top tube beam to use if you need it
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I also use a Saris Bones 3, and as said above, when using this with my Spark I need to use the adaptor bar (Saris bike beam) costs £30 but like the rack, it's a solid bit of kit.
    When transporting the road bike though I don't need to use this.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    I had a Saris Bones previously and it worked fine with my Hifi Pro but didn't fit my Yeti without the additional cross bar so I changed to Thule roof bars. It was fine with one bike but seemed quite unstable/wobbly with two bikes fitted to it (on the back of a 3 series saloon).
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0