Electronic shifting

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
Within the last couple of weeks I've been to two LBS, one telling me that electronic shifting isn't worth the extra cash and the other telling me I should be looking to get it as within a few years I won't be able to get the spares for mechanical systems.

Which is right? If you were looking to buy a new bike now, would you go electronic or not?

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    No,they were talking utter sh!te
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    The second LBS you mention sound like a bunch of feckin' liars to me. Or idiots.

I like the idea of electronic shifting, but at the moment I don't think it's worth the price premium. It's worth waiting for the 'early adopters' to make it mainstream and jump on the bandwagon when there's a more affordable version later.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    joe2008 wrote:
    Ask Dean Downing what he thinks of it now

Have you got a number for him?
  • GiantMike wrote:
    The second LBS you mention sound like a bunch of feckin' liars to me. Or idiots.

I think what they were getting at was say in a few years from now would you be able to get hold of something like a brake lever/shifter if your mechanical one was broken, a bit like when they add extra gears. Will certain groupsets become completely electronic?

Don't think I believe them, I can see top end stuff becoming electronic, but not the lower end stuff. And if I was looking for a new bike now (which I'm not) don't think I'd buy it, think I'd wait a few more years and see what the other manufacturers come up with.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    No,they were talking utter sh!te

Agree 100% - what they are trying to say is that suddenly you won't be able to get parts for hundreds of thousands of bikes and the manufacturers won't mind losing all this business.

Utter bollards.

Admittedly you won't/it will be very difficult to get new Sora 8 speed, but anything 9/10/11 speed will be fine for years and years to come.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Ah yes, I think I am getting more cynical in my old age, I think in cycling there is more gnosis and marketing want than in any other sport. "if only I had those £3000 wheels or that frame I would have been 30 minutes quicker" and there in lies the issue. We are being fed the need to have more expensive upgrades instead of just going out to ride. We are more than likely riding equipment good enough to use.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • joe2008 wrote:
    Don`t know any of the details about his accident, but did his electronic shifting cause his accident?
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I read his gears jumped sprinting on his local chaingang and caused him to crash.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    I've got a (mechanical) film camera from the 1930s that can still be serviced. The same company sold a digital model from 2005-7. You can no longer buy batteries for it.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    RDW wrote:
    I've got a (mechanical) film camera from the 1930s that can still be serviced. The same company sold a digital model from 2005-7. You can no longer buy batteries for it.
    And you can still buy the wheelbarrow to carry it round!

Technology huh, who needs it?
  • I wonder what shennagins will ensue with electronic shifters, if someone works out how to jam/hijack the signal?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • I think it's a safe assumption that electronic shifting will remain the choice for the minority of the millions of cyclists worldwide for a while yet, talking about conventional systems being obsolete anytime soon can only come from a salesman or an idiot.
  • I think it's a safe assumption that electronic shifting will remain the choice for the minority of the millions of cyclists worldwide for a while yet, talking about conventional systems being obsolete anytime soon can only come from a salesman or an idiot.

It could even be that electronic shifting is the equivelant of 3D technology in the TV arena. A technology the nobody really wants??
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    And you can still buy the wheelbarrow to carry it round!

Technology huh, who needs it?

Oddly enough, there were small cameras even in the dimly remembered decades before the iPhone :o

Technology is great, but the suggestion that the original poster 'won't be able to get the spares' seems much more likely to apply to current electronic systems than mechanical - e.g. Shimano uses a proprietary battery like that digital camera. Batteries don't last for ever, and if Shimano switches to something else (like the camera company did), or the system never really takes off, there's no guarantee you'll be able to power it in future. Bet you can still ebay the components for the current mechanical groupsets long after the last Di2 battery is dead.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Sticking with mechanical - I can still get spares for my Dura-Ace 2009 and Ultegra 2007 so I am not worried (yet). I love the idea of electronic shifting but I just couldn't justify it given my current lack of fitness and piss-poor diet regime :( Anyhow, if you want it - get it and so what the LBS says, at the end of the day it's all about you.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!