mountain bike shoe dryer device

reflex2.0
reflex2.0 Posts: 2
edited January 2012 in MTB general
I am designing a portable boot/ shoe dryer as part of a collage project, i am at the re-search stage and was just wondering if you think it is a good idea and if there would be any preferences you would have e.g. light, compact.
thanks, Ben

Comments

• timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    It is a good idea and there are lots already out there. Stick 'boot dryer' into google and see what's available. For me it would need to be light and easy to pack with adaptors for a normal plug and the car.
    Many happy trails!
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    what about price ?

you can usually get yesterdays news paper free or the free local newspappers, they always dried my shoes/boots..
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Light, efficient, cheap, compact etc.

ps I believe you may be in college.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    As said, many such things about. Take a look at ski boot dryers in particular.

Light, compact, portable is a winner for me, aside from price. If it involves plugging into stuff then yeah, adapters, and ideally works abroad too.

If it could work without power then that may be useful if it works well. Currently the only stuff I've tried like that are gel based boot dryers. They work well for the moisture in ski boots but can't cope in drying out a soaked Five Ten and takes days to do it. Something that will dry overnight is important.

If you can come up with something that will automatically dry Five Tens fast, clean them and get all the sandy stuff that gets stuck deep inside, then I'm sold :)
    cooldad wrote:
    ps I believe you may be in college.
    Or making a collage. That would be interesting :D
  • Taa-dah

bootdryer.jpg
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Taa-dah

bootdryer.jpg

That is the single most amazing invention I have ever seen. You sir are a legend! Does it not burn the dryer out though?
  • Why thank you! I've not used it from totally soggy yet just when they've been a little damp but its been okay. I've only used it on low too, but circulating any air is going to help dry them.

TBH the dryers on its last legs, how the missus isn't deaf I don't know, it makes a bloody racket!

Word of warning the smell that comes from warm damp five tens is not pleasant!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Taa-dah

bootdryer.jpg

I saw this and went aha I have the materials in the shed. My cardboard tube, hoover hose, duct tape and jubilee clip version is currently whirring away in the shed. If it works I will race you to the patent office :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • LOL!

I left my drenched five tens with news paper in them over night and now they're in the garage with the dryer. Been on for 40 mins or so and they're almost dry.

I've replaced the cardboard tubes above with plastic and added a few holes to help dry the boot cuff and tongue.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • stubs
    2 hours of annoying whirring noises and my Shimano MP66 clogs are almost dry. Reckon my Specialized summer shoes would be bone dry by now its just all the ankle padding that is still damp. Another couple of hours in the warmth will sort it rather than the usual 2 or 3 days with newspaper.

Nice one snotty badger.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    With the amount of electricity you have just wafted away (hair dryer for two hours?!) it might have been cheaper to just buy a dry pair from the shop :lol:
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • stubs
    S-M wrote:
    With the amount of electricity you have just wafted away (hair dryer for two hours?!) it might have been cheaper to just buy a dry pair from the shop :lol:

:lol:

Its just the fan motor going I didnt have the heating element on. Actually thats why its in the shed the hot air doesnt work. Probably costs pennies to run the fan but your right the way the last few months have been if I had dried them every ride the elecy bill would go up..
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    genius. not only is ti good for drying five tens. but you can now dry twins hair at the same time. thus saving time and money.. genius..