SC Stats - turbo or not turbo

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Go on then. Turbo or not turbo? Tath is the nestquoi*.

Do we include turbo & roller miles in SC Stats, or not?

*Python, Monty, from some years ago. :wink:

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Either "No" or "No but show them in some way as miles that aren't really miles".

Everyone on here has a bike so can log their miles but not everyone has a turbo / rollers. Including those miles as well would imho give an unfair advantage to those that do.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Absolutely completely definitely no, I've always thought that a big part of it is the commitment to get out on the bike even when the weather is terrible.

And as Suzy says, a lot of us don't have turbo's.

By all means set up a silly commuter turbo stats page!
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Absolutely completely definitely no, I've always thought that a big part of it is the commitment to get out on the bike even when the weather is terrible.

And as Suzy says, a lot of us don't have turbo's.

By all means set up a silly commuter turbo stats page!
  • I do not enter this but I hate it when endmondo challenges include turbo work, NOTHING and I mean nothing replaces road work in all weathers
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've suggested the turbo purely because there are times when I can't get out on the bike because of family commitments etc, and I'd like to keep a record of miles done on the turbo year-on-year. Granted, it can be as dull as dishwater, but it's good training. But I'm not suggesting it should count towards the overall mileage*. If this isn't feasible from a techy point of view, am happy to leave it so it doesn't include turbo miles at all.

*It wouldn't be fair. I would crush you all.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    No - another permutation

Record the turbo seperately but the unit of measure should be mins/hour rather than miles
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    No - another permutation

Record the turbo seperately but the unit of measure should be mins/hour rather than miles

Why not miles? Minutes are no more indicative if the resistance is minimal.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    edited December 2011
    No but, please feel free to add the exact number of miles you have travelled geographically from the beginning to the end of the ride.

I don't have a turbo, if I did I'm willing to bet I would not be allowed to use it in the house. So might as well just go for a ride instead.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    No

and not just because I don't have a turbo.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Nope.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It would be trivial to add a separate column + the background gubbins to capture turbo miles but if they don't count towards your total what added value does it bring? Total miles so far = 3872, oh and another 56 on the turbo? To be frank from where I sit that looks like nothing more than screen noise.

If turbo miles are in as expended effort we could also include 'a hard game of squash', 'football on the lawn with the kids', 'walking the dog' etc in lieu of a good bike ride. Don't larf - Hat+Beard + m'self almost agreed on this very thing a while ago.

I'm still not convinced. Judging by the votes so far not many others are either. It may happen anyway, disregarding CRs, support tickets, impact assessments etc. More likely I'll be bored one evening & settle down with a glass of wine and the question 'how hard can it be?', followed by the interlocked fingers pushed palms first towards the monitor.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Nope.

If you do do something for the pretend cyclists, can you keep it entirely separate please!

(that way they can get all confused as to whether they'd gain more places in their SCT rank by staying in or more in their STS by going out :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I have a turbo which I use and even i say NO!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I still think yes for the very same reason I suggested splitting real commuting miles from other miles, because it better shows how those miles are split, if say your training for a lejog or marmote and there's 25ft of snow n ice outside its quite likely that you'd sit on the boring arse turbo a few times, if that's just lumped in as miles what are people to think?

This person is some kind of work mad fruit loop?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Rolf F wrote:
    Nope.

If you do do something for the pretend cyclists, can you keep it entirely separate please!

(that way they can get all confused as to whether they'd gain more places in their SCT rank by staying in or more in their STS by going out :lol:

This,

Just Because
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Yes, but not counting in to the total please.
    Forced off the road until my wrist is out of plaster so some turbo miles would keep my interest going this winter.