why would anyone go to the cinema?

2»

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,413
    Secteur wrote:
    Go on a Wednesday with Orange 2for1, and take your own food & drink.

That's what we do, and the whole thing costs less than £6-8 depending what time we go.

You beat me to it. :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    zippypablo wrote:
    Maybe not a new version but a return to the older versions.

Something like this perhaps? Peter Jackson's recently restored Roxy in Miramar.

gallery-photo13-large.jpg
    gallery-photo34-large.jpg
    gallery-photo38-large.jpg
    gallery-photo75-large.jpg
    gallery-photo43-large.jpg
    gallery-photo49-large.jpg
    gallery-photo19-large.jpg
  • Went to the cinema to watch Moneyball tonight and it was great.

Don't think I can afford to go every week like I used to be, but once a month to watch a decent movie is fine. Lord knows I don't get out of the house enough as it is.
  • Follow the Kermode and Mayo code of conduct for an excellent cinematic experience.
    http://www.the-medium-is-not-enough.com ... nd_sim.php

There is nothing like films on the big screen.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Well, imagine how bad it would be in the USA, watching films with people whooping and cheering at the stunts and action sequences. That would drive me to a bit of gun crime.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Used to help run a proper cinema (our student one).

Was a proper screen, proper projector (35mm) etc etc.

Saw maybe 3-4 films a week in the cinema. Was great since we mixed it up between new releases, arthouse bullshit stuff I like and a classic.

It's just a much better experience all round.

In my experience, if you don't like the company in the room, you've picked the wrong film...

You're not going to get a good crowd if you go watch transformers 5 > now they've gone postal or hungover 56 - with actual side-boob.

Having said that, SW London isn't great for independent cinema, or at least, not in my part.

But you're right. £10 each for a sh!t film takes the p!ss.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It's cheaper for me to buy a couple of blu ray disks than to take the family to the cinema once.
    We tend to have a family evening where we have pizza etc in the lounge and watch a film together.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    NWLondoner wrote:
    My next visit to the Cinema will be the Odeon Leicester Square on Friday, November 9th to see Bond 23 "Skyfall"

This is the only time i ever visit the cinema. Royal Circle tickets ain't cheap but for 2 hours of (hopefully) great bondage its worth it.

To be honest most other films are so hit and miss these days i prefer a good TV drama.

Lets just hope its not another Quantum of Solace.........
  • Used to go all the time, but then I started to go off it. A combination of the prices, the hassle, the other people in there eating and rustling packets (why oh why) and slurping on drinks.

A Lovefilm bluray on my big flatscreen with a can of beer in hand and a pause button if need be is so much better!
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Secteur wrote:
    Go on a Wednesday with Orange 2for1, and take your own food & drink.

That's what we do, and the whole thing costs less than £6-8 depending what time we go.

+2

Also, it even though we have to pay for a babysitter, it also allows me and the wife to get some time together.

My local also does 18+ screenings as well so you don't have to put up with the yoofs in the back on iPhones, innit
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • I'm going off cinema too. The multiplexes nearest to me are Cineworld in Bradford (infested with feral teenagers running in and out of the different screens) and Vue in Leeds (Vue are the worst cinema chain of all: Bleak, grotty premises and treat their customers like cash machines).

However where we live we are spoiled for independent cinemas: Hyde Park Picture House, Pictureville and Hebden Bridge Picture House all close by. But the last couple of times I've been to HBPH I've had to tell people to shut up; not kids either; middle-class g0bsh!tes who love the sounds of their own voices so much that they can't sit for an hour and a half without pontificating loudly.

These days, once the kids are in bed on a Friday night we'll either watch a DVD from Lovefilm or take the laptop to bed and stream something; either some good TV we've missed (on iPlayer or 4OD) or a film legally streamed from Lovefilm.

They say you can't beat the experience of cinema with the big screen, the flawless surround-sound etc, and I do get that, but that experience can be completely ruined by one inconsiderate little pr!ck with some rustly sweets. And when you're paying through the nose for the privilege, and you have to get a babysitter and all the rest of it, better to stay at home. Since the advent of flat-screen TVs, the home viewing experience has improved.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    The seats are too comfortable and I'm usually asleep after 15 minutes - why would I pay good money just to go to sleep?
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Grumpy Old Man syndrome is rife on here, I see.
  • Personally i really enjoy trips to the cinema. That hit of the popcorn smell reminds me of childhood & the excitement of the big screen still grabs me. I went to see 'Super 8' not long ago & it was brilliant. A proper film for cinema. I think a lot of the films out now are complete dross but every now & then something comes out which i really fancy. It is possible to pay reasonable prices & if you choose a time when it will be quieter it can be a great experience. Not for everyone i agree but the magic is still there for me!
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    zippypablo wrote:
    AndyRubio wrote:
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Modern cinema's and their staff are a bag of cack.
    Sad but true. To be fair to the staff, they only get told what to do by head office folk who are driven by short-term profit. I can't see anyone coming up with a new version of cinema-going, like Dyson did with the vacuum cleaner. Like bookshops and HMV, cinemas are on their way out.

Maybe not a new version but a return to the older versions.
    There are still some small independant cinemas with an intermission and beer. That sounds okay to me.
    Biggest problem is surely the pricing, especially the snacks.

Bring back the intermission!
  • I seem to be a minority but I love the cinema.. Can't beat seeing films how they are meant to be on the big screen with amazing audio. I regularly go to the Cineworld in Cambridge where people are generally quiet and respectful of others. Yes it is expensive but then how many people on here moaning about the cost have bikes costing over a grand and pay over £100 for a pair of shorts?

Seeing a great film on the big screen on a rainy midweek afternoon for me is heaven..
  • Navrig wrote:

:D

OK maybe, but you try going to see a film at Cineworld Bradford on a Friday night. You'd be grumpy too :wink:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Like I said, I'd never give Cineworld my money - paying to share a room with people who don't know how to behave? No thanks.

However, the Everyman is a different kettle of roach and more up my street... and they sell good beer! http://www.everymancinema.com/cinemas/hampstead/gallery
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Navrig wrote:
    Grumpy? Yes, always.
    Old? Yup, gonna be 50 this year.
    Man? Last time I checked, yes.

I felt exactly the same about going to the pictures when I was in my 20s although the problem wasn't as bad then as it is now. When it's good, going to the pictures is great. I once saw The Third Man at that cinema in Dalston, and it was only by the collective chuckling of the audience that I realised how brilliant Wilfred Hyde-White's was. That kind of thing.

But! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JXmUSMPUpA
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Several years ago when i our first kid was still a baby we managed to get a night out at the cinema. We settled down when the lights went off when SWMBO said something to me. Our neighbor immediately turned to us and in a rude and gruff manner "shhhhssed" us. This was just at the Pearl and Dean stuff started.

We sat through the film in silence whilst he proceeded to munch his way through a grab bag of minstrels and wine gums rustling at every opportunity.

I held my tongue until the lights went up then I turned on him and gave him a piece of my mind leaving him with no uncertain understanding as to how he had spoiled our evening. His partner struggled not to giggle as a 30 year old told this 50+ year old off. I then stared at him, sat in his seat, as we left the cinema. He didn't move from his seat until we were clear of the cinema.

I wish, at times, that i'd hit him.

Works both ways. It is not always the youngsters who are anti social.
  • 3d upcharge- WHY . that is all.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Personally i really enjoy trips to the cinema. That hit of the popcorn smell reminds me of childhood & the excitement of the big screen still grabs me. I went to see 'Super 8' not long ago & it was brilliant. A proper film for cinema. I think a lot of the films out now are complete dross but every now & then something comes out which i really fancy. It is possible to pay reasonable prices & if you choose a time when it will be quieter it can be a great experience. Not for everyone i agree but the magic is still there for me!

Watched Super 8 on DVD a few nights ago, cracking film. 10 and 12 yr old also throughly enjoyed it.

Went to see Mission Imposs 4 at local multiplex over Christmas also, and also enjoyed it, and it was probably better for being on the big screen. Like going to the cinema, not too keen on paying £7 for Nachos and Coke for oldest lad, but for them its part of the experience, so just go with the flow. We dont go every week, so a £30 cinema visit every month or so aint going to break the bank.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Nothing like seeing a good movie on the big screen with a big sound system. Just what they are made for. Went to see the latest Sherlock Holmes film over Christmas Hols at Bournemouth Odeon. Hardly anyone there and only cost £22.50 for the four of us. Reckon per head that is good value for couple hours entertainment.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.