Best Way to Make Use of a Turbo Trainer

Prov91
Prov91 Posts: 9
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
I have had a road bike for a while now, and was training well in the Summer, however moving to a new city has lef tme seldom chance to get out and my fitness has taken a nose dive. My Dad gave me a CycleOps turbo trainer for Xmas and I was just wondering what is the best, most effective way to use it? Just so i'm not pedalling away with little gain.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Easy one...read this:

NapD's Turbo Guide

It is a long thread so get yourself settled with a notepad as there are some gems in there.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Step one: Read the guide mentioned above

Step two: implement the advice given in the guide mentioned above

Step three: Leave your turbo in the garage and let it gather dust for months and months

Step three is not productive and will not help you in any way, however it is the most commonly used step for most people
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Step four: Use it as a stand for your bike.
    Step five: Use it to set up your bike for proper cycling.
    Step six: Read as many for sale adverts as possible, very useful when sale time comes.
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    As you can see from the above steps/advice often a turbo will end up not being used much, as I’m sure you will find out when you start using yours, it can be quite boring. I got one last winter and did manage to use it a bit but after an hour session I have had enough, can't sit on it for longer. This winter I got myself a second bike and try and do as much training on the road as possible (and ‘m actually enjoying the cold weather riding).
    That said you can get some decent training done on a turbo and in my opinion its better than not doing anything at all. If you search the forum there have been plenty of discussions how to train (intervals etc) and how best to keep the boredom away. Some prefer listening to music and you may also consider a specific training video such as the Sufferfest stuff (quick Google search will lead you to the website). I find these videos great and they will certainly give you a good workout.

If the turbo is your only way of getting on the bike this winter I hope you give it a go, you will definitely be in better shape come spring time and you can get on the road again. Good luck. :D