Cycling Club West Bromwich area (please be my friend)

ted-on-tour
ted-on-tour Posts: 225
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Hello,

im looking for a Cycling Club in the Black Country area..... ive had a look online but cant seem to find any, does anybody know of one because i'd like to if possible come along to a meet. Failing that perhaps a riding buddy (it feels a little bit like im asking for friends its not like that im just sick of riding alone)

Any help or advicde would be fantastic.

Cheers
Danny
Pain is a momentary lapse of character.

Comments

• Theres winchcombe cycling club but that's a bit far for you ummmm. I'll try find one online for you
  • Search west bromwich cycling club on google and a few clubs come up.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    What sort of riding do you like to do? Do you want to Race or TT at some point or is it just for leisure? Also what pace do you ride at, and what distances do you want to cover?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • I've had a look on google but the only one that comes up for west bromwich, goes on about how fantastic dominos pizza is?? I don't think that one is much help.

Theres halesowen cycling club but that a bit far too, I'd have to cycle 20miles before I even started the club run and I dont think the pistons are up to it yet.

I've been covering about 30 miles 3 times a week and upto 60 of a weekend averaging around 16mph and the odd 10mile sprint, but wanted to go with a club as I've never ridden with others before.
  • Slow Downcp
    I used to be a regular at West Brom 20 years ago - no-one raced, the odd member did the occasional TT and there were a few who did Audaxes upto 600Km. Used to be more of a social thing, but we still did 100 mile plus on Sundays in the Summer, down to 60 miles in the Winter, plus Bank Holidays etc away. It's a shame it finally appears to have died a slow and painful death :(

Have you tried http://www.walsallroadscc.co.uk/ or http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/index.html ?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    Hi try wolverhampton wheelers... Large established club with good grades of ride. Just google and check out the forum. Cheers
  • I know someone who lives in Great Barr (a couple of miles from West Brom). He rides with "BRATS" club albeit a Triathlon club. You can just do the cycling such as racing and Time Trials if you like. I think it's still about 10 miles to start point though?

Here's their website ...... http://www.bratclub.co.uk/
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Beacon RCC might be worth a look too.
  • Yeah I've tried Beacon RCC but cant seem to get in touch via the internet and I cant seem to find a number to call....I'll keep trying.

Thanks all for your findings, I'll also try walsallroads. Are you a member slowdown? Or a local that knows of them?
  • Slow Downcp
    Thanks all for your findings, I'll also try walsallroads. Are you a member slowdown? Or a local that knows of them?

Not a member, but did turn up for one of their open event 10 mile TT's one Sunday a couple of years back - they seemed a reasonable enough bunch although my recollection may have been clouded by just stopping myself being sick at the end :lol:

Looking at their website, it says they have 40 members which is well down on what it used to be. No harm turning up and seeing what they have to offer though.

I'd offer to meet up for a ride, but hardly been out at all this year after fracturing my elbow last December so fitness and motivation is at an all time low. :(
  • Yeah just had a look at the website, seems a bit too focused on TT's...not really my bag at the moment maybe in the future but dont have the kit for it at the moment, might have a few strange looks turning up in a pair of jeans and boots......

Well perhaps a new year new ride focus is in order slowdown, you know what they say....stay on the hoops kidda!....do they say that? or have i just made that up? I know its something like that, it has the same meaning whatever the saying.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I'm a member of the Wolverhampton Wheelers, best value £15 you'll spend, three nights in the week on the track at Aldersley, regular events throughout the year, for example about 40 of us hired Newport Velodrome for 4 hours today, 2-3 groups out on Sunday mornings, chain gangs on a Thursday night, ladies night on the Track Monday night and a whole hosts of other events.

HTH
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Yeah I've tried Beacon RCC but cant seem to get in touch via the internet and I cant seem to find a number to call....I'll keep trying.

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/joining/index.html
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Ive been in Beacon and until my Injury Halesowen. Both pretty friendly clubs. The beacon rides used to be quite long about 60 miles - but I was looking at there website a while back, and they have a whole series of introductory rides know.

Halesowen rides tend to max at 40 miles - and its generally around stouport way. Let me know if you want some contact details.
  • Yeah phone numbers would be helpfull just to give them a heads up I'm planning to come along sooner or later and where to meet and stuff, PMing me would probably be best.

Thanks

Best wishes for 2012 ALL!!