Road Racing with mudguards on - allowed?

rjsmith
rjsmith Posts: 1,924
edited January 2012 in Amateur race
Anyone know if winter road racing with the mudguards still on is allowed? Most likely BC races?

Comments

• cant see why you couldnt race with mudguards.

2010 specialized allez
    2011 specialized tarmac sl3 expert(cant wait for the good weather)
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    no - not allowed
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Although you're not meant to I've seen people in my races with road racer style guards without being pulled up.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Even if they were allowed why would you want to? The only people that will benefit will be your competitors as they sit on your nice dry wheel!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    If you race on the same bike you commute on like I do then it would be handy to be able to leave them on.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • torms
    torms Posts: 7
    have ridden bc road races and a road race league usin crudguards, never been questioned or anything said, i ride out to events as part of my training ,
  • BC rules state that 'all equipment not essential for racing should be removed'. AS a commissaire I would interpret this as mudguards are not allowed.
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    Thanks for the replies. I've got a decent carbon bike that takes full mudguards, so didn't want the faff of taking them off if I don't want to use the summer bike.

You are allowed to race with pumps etc fixed on - these aren't essential for racing really are they?
  • Lion-O
    Lion-O Posts: 48
    pumps are ok but mud guard should be removed in case of a crash etc. ive seen people pulled out on a start line for it, this was before the plastic race blades so maybe contact british cycling?
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    mmmm... long thin piece of metal, through the eye, imagine that
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    blackhands wrote:
    BC rules state that 'all equipment not essential for racing should be removed'. AS a commissaire I would interpret this as mudguards are not allowed.

so on this basis a computer/speedo is not allowed as they are not "essential"? Or a small rear light stuck on seat post as I've seen several times. I've even seen people race with a rear light turned on.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    xixang wrote:
    so on this basis a computer/speedo is not allowed as they are not "essential"? Or a small rear light stuck on seat post as I've seen several times. I've even seen people race with a rear light turned on.

The computer/speedo is allowed - the full rule is (2011 handbook)
    3.2.7 pumps, spare tyres and race computers must be securely fastened, all other equipment not essential for racing purposes must be removed.

If the Chief comm thinks the machine is dangerous he has to report it to the region (dunno what they'd do)
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes it's one of those things that is against the rules but the commissaire may not pick you up on - either because they aren't bothered or they may not realise until you are racing by which point they may feel pulling you out is ott. Personally I wouldn't risk it simply because I think a lot of commissaires wont turn a blind eye. Whether they are actually dangerous - well probably not very but you have to have some general rules as and they don't seem unreasonable as they stand.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    If the commissaires turn a blind eye, or don't notice or anything else which means you get away with racing them, please don't do it, the commissaires are not getting paid to be there (some expenses possibly) just don't do anything to give them any hassle at all, follow all the rules, ride safely (they have to write up incidents...) and remember it's a winter series race, if you can't be bothered taking your mudguards off, don't bother racing.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • To add to jibberjim's comments.

Unfortunately we live in a litigious society. If someone was to get hurt colliding with a rider with a bike with mudguards, that rider may well start looking in the direction of the commissaire and the lead body as being liable.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    And don't put it past the person who finishes behind you to lodge a complaint. Some people will do anything to gain a place here or there.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • If you sign on for a race you agree to the technical regulations and have to respect that the commisaires are the highest level of authority at the event.
    There are no arguments in response to that statement

For example - if someone turns up with a mobile phone mounted on their stem - there is no specific rule covering this, however i would deem it non essential and ask that they remove it. If its not removed then the rider would not compete.

The reason for the request is irrelavant if the commisaire says jump you jump or do not race. BC train commisaires and keep them up to speed with the latest advice. They put their trust in them to run races safely and you also have to trust their experience.

One rider last year questioned why we gave him a handlebar plug before starting racing - answer? because nobody wants their torso pierced by a 6 inch section of 6061 aluminium - therefore its in the regs
    'Handlebar ends shall be plugged, not merely covered by tape, and other projections shall be protected as far as possible.'

So if you think you can 'get away' with something think again - we talk to each over by something called race radio, we watch we and know.. And just if you think you have got away with it most cases even if we dont tell you at the time we'll pick you up next time! ;)

And one final point -

PRACTICE PINNING A NUMBER ON PROPERLY!
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    And one final point -

PRACTICE PINNING A NUMBER ON PROPERLY!

Yeah, ya lazy dilberts. I got a puncture at a cyclocross race from a rogue safety pin dropped onto the track.
  • It's not really well thought of and depeneding on the rider can be seen as disrespectful to others....

Not really bothered me in the past I have to say, but everyone is different.
    Il Sasso Cycling - Sempre in Bici
    Penna San Giovanni (Mc), Italia

Cycling training, touring and Gran Fondo camps in Italy

http://www.ilsassocycling.com
    http://www.casaliozzi.com

Follow @ilsassocycling on twitter and facebook for regular updates